Ford Mustang Forum banner

1998 Mustang GT convertible back window seal

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kenv 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, to start off I'd like to state that this is my first post and I apologize for anything I may do wrong.

I own a 1998 GT soft top and have loved every bit of it. I have the Mach 460 stereo and I'm guessing a rare trim package. I've only seen one other like mine. its everything I could have hoped for in my first mustang (being seventeen) I've adored these cars since I was about 9 and since then worshipped the ground the drove on. I only have one issue that really bugs me about my car. the back window. it has the defroster option which is great but it doesn't work because one side has snapped off, the entire connecter is no longer attached to the glass. is this something simple to fix? all of the wires are intact it just isn't attached on one side of the glass (if it makes a difference it's the passengers side) and last but not least also dealing with the back window the side flaps on the outside are very loose I don't know if that matters or if they're supposed to be held down but I was wondering if that may be why it leaks on the bottom corners. I've looked at it and from what I can tell both the corners on the bottom are no longer attached to either side of the window the material hangs around it and lets water in which causes an annoying swishing while driving and a lot of wind noise on the highway. the middle of the bottom is still attached luckily its just the corners. is there some type of glue I would need or do I need to replace the whole back window?

Thanks for your input! it means a lot!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the site. Is there a zipper at the top of the window? If so, you should be able to buy a replacement through latemodelrestoration.com. I put the installation difficulty at about a 7. There is a trim stick at the base of the back window that needs to be unbolted and the new window stapled to.

#3 ·
rear window

thanks jerry but I cant seem to locate a zipper it is somehow buttoned down to the back of the car via a plastic piece, but I cant see any way to get the window out I put my hand in between the two pieces that should be sealed to either side of the glass but cant feel anything in there either. the biggest concern for me right now is trying to fix the gap in between the glass and fabric on both sides. but getting the window out would definitely be helpful!

#7 ·
Our convertible tops are notorious to leaking at the corners like you mentioned. Mine does it. There are already small holes in the corners from the factory to let the water drain down through the car to the ground; however, overtime, and after hundreds and hundreds of putting the top up and down, the holes begin to grow, due to wear and tear, and that is when the water begins to leak into the convertible boot.

My cheap solution, for now, was to drill small holes in the bottom of the wheel well from inside the trunk, get some drain plugs from Lowes, and let the water drain out of the two corners of the convertible boot through hoses out through the wheel well. This has helped considerably, as I was getting close to 2-3 gallons of water back there and it would end up leaking through the whole car (soaking my carpet in front the back seat) causing mildew and mold smell...

Long term, the only solution is to replace the top/back window/and the seal between the bottom of the convertible top and body.

I hope this helps. I am not to sure what all the technical terms are for the parts I just named, but if you want pictures of what I did I can take some and upload them for you. Just let me know.

#9 ·
As far as leaks go, I found out that if you can peel back the top material from the glass, that`s where it is leaking. The top material is supposed to be tight against the rear glass all the way around. Mine could only be pulled back a little bit, but the top guy where I had mine replaced showed me that it was leaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.