Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a '98 GT Convertible. The interior creaks and groans when the panels are pressed, and also when the car goes over bumps.

The windshield pillar trim pieces, in particular; are crappy plastic pieces that emit a nasty hollow sound when tapped, and also when the car goes over bumps.

I thought I would remove the pillar trim pieces and apply some sound-deadner material to it to hopefully improve things.

How do you get those trim pieces off?

Also; has anyone seen after-market instrument cluster assemblies that mount up there? I've seen them for the F Series trucks; but not for the Mustang.

Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, four years and no answer. Did you ever figure this out? I'm facing the same task on my '96 convertible. It must not be that hard, because Verizon put a hands-free mic and some wire under this piece on my car ages ago.

There's a retaining rivet of some kind at the very top, near where the hinge is for the visor. However, it's not the usual nylon kind; it appears to be metal, so I'm reluctant to just pry it out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Turns out this is very easy. The plug at the top is just a regular nylon plug. I got a plug-removal tool at AutoZone ($10) and popped it out. You can probably just use a screwdriver, but I got tired of screwing around (yes, very punny) with these things and just invested in the tool.

Then you simply grab that pillar cover behind both edges and pull it straight down toward the floor of the car. It's secured by a couple of the typical metal clips and a plastic guidepost.

Here's a pic of the piece removed.

I'm mounting a USB port on mine, so I can put a GPS unit in the corner of the windshield without janky wire all over the place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.