Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well at first i was just getting water into a few of my cylinders after i resealed the pi intake and drove it around i noticed the smoke come back and a loss of power sounded like a loss of compression as well and when i took the intake off i noticed quite a bit of oil in two of my middle cylinders on the passenger side so i took off the valve cover and had it tested to see if it was my valve seals and they said it wasnt so now i am at a loss and have no idea what i should do i was either thinking about buying a whole pi motor and dropping it in but i would rather just rebuild the one i got how hard would it be for me to rebuild it myself and if you know of any good posts that walk you through it please let me know.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump...i really need to figure out what im gonna do with my car what does anyone think it could be

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump...I finally got my motor out and the pass head is off but not sure what i am supposed to be looking for.If i am only getting oil in my pass side cylinders would that rule out the bottom of the motor?Or could i still possibly have something wrong with my bottom end?

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
How many miles? What is your budget for the repair? How will the car be used after the repair?

Pictures?

Have you considered a whole "new to you" PI salvage motor?

2000+ Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars have Romeo PI 4.6's in them. Try car-part.com for example prices.

Is this your first rebuild? If so and this will be a street driven DD, stong consideration should be given to a whole replacement motor. The price may not be as high as you might think.

I paid $800 for a complete motor from a 2004 Crown Vic with 35K miles. That motor is now in my 2000 GT. I drive the car back and forth to work daily. Runs great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car has around 140k but the motor was rebuilt about 10k miles ago.Im trying to stay under $1k because i still gotta buy tires and a few other small fixes.My cousin is a mechanic and i called him and he said if the piston walls are not scratched or damaged then the piston rings and bottom end of motor should be fine.He seems to think that my head is bad or cracked which is making me leak oil into my cylinders.So another question i have is does that sound like something i can rely on with the piston walls looking good means i should not worry about the bottom end.Because if so im thinking about just buying some pi heads and maybe some cams and calling it a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts