Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going tommorrow evening to look at a 1998 GT its got a rebuilt title but the guy told me it was fixed when he got it and he thinks it was front end damage but I asked him if the car drove straight and he said yes tires wear right also said that the only thing that the car does need is paint clearcoat is coming off in some spots there is a scuff on the driver side of the front bumper where it rubbed the garage door, and the cruise control dont work (dont really care bout that) now the good things has flowmasters, eibach lowering springs I think he said lowered 1 1/4", and motor is stock with 76,500 miles on it, almost new falken tires all the way around, 5 speed car, said it dont leak no fuids at all and dont burn oil.

Im lookin for a good daily driver with decent gas milage if im goin to be payin for it I want to enjoy it and get what I want while I can lol....Can yall help me out tell me the things to look for im pretty familure with mustangs messed with them quite a bit but never messed with a 4.6L let alone looked at one much....and what would be a decent price to start at he sent me pictures the car is a beautiful blue with tan leather interior he is asking 4200 right now but im thinking a little lower. Based on what im giving what would you think on a price I know its a little hard without seeing it ill see if I can post the pictures he emailed me. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
135 Posts
salvaged title 4.6...ugh any car with a salvage title or even a branded title(prior salvage -regular title) is a pain in the as$ to resell. The milage is low. I would check out the frame..check out the front tires for any unusual balding.The only thing i dont like on the 4.6 is changing spark plugs are a B itch, and they have 4 o2 sensors that you gotta keep an eye on so ur car dont bog out. I would offer 3500.. money talks :) i got my 94 with 94k for 4500(thousand less then what he wanted even after a fresh paint job and few misc. new parts. But i think 3500 to 3700 be a descent price range for a low milaged salvage titled car..BUT CHECK THE CAR OUT YOURSELF THE BEST YOU CAN BEFORE YOU BUY IT! Gas milage umm you can expect prolly between 20-24 mpg my buddys 98 with a auto averaged 23 mpg doin 80 on the interstate..my 5.0 gets me about 25-26 mpg down the interstate at 80 cuz its a 5 speed. city wise idk guessin prolly 18

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah im deff goin to check the car over but not sure if there is anything special to look/listen for on the 4.6 like I said the only one I have looked at was my girlfriends mom had an 03' and only checked the oil other than driving it I dont know much other than almost all the basics of how the modular motors work so im just askin if there is anything to look for or listen for that tells me NO not to buy it and I know its hard to resell a rebuilt title vehicle thats why im goin to talk him down and yes he said money talks..... Thanks for the info....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Keep in mind that, even though you have a working knowledge of cars, Joe Public doesn't. Figure that 99% of car buyers will be turned off by the salvage title. Therefore, you need to figure out a purchase price keeping with the mindset that you're buying the car for keeps- a resell would be for parts or scrap.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $2500-3000 for a salvaged '98 GT, if that. And that is assuming that it tracks straight and spent the proper time on a frame-machine, etc. If it's a cobbled together deathtrap, walk away.

That being said, you may be able to get a nice little car for pennies if you're willing to live with the issues (which you obviously are, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.)

Make sure you drive it, and then ask him to drive it and follow him to see how it tracks. Remember, he ain't selling that car to the average car buyer, they'll walk away as soon as they hear salvage- so use that to your advantage when negotiating.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
+1 with quick46. another thing too, if you start doubting yourself best thing to do is get a mechanic to check it out, one you trust that is. check with your state laws too about titling. i know that here in GA you cannot get tags and such for a salvaged title vehicle. i've passed up MANY ponies because of that

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind that, even though you have a working knowledge of cars, Joe Public doesn't. Figure that 99% of car buyers will be turned off by the salvage title. Therefore, you need to figure out a purchase price keeping with the mindset that you're buying the car for keeps- a resell would be for parts or scrap.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $2500-3000 for a salvaged '98 GT, if that. And that is assuming that it tracks straight and spent the proper time on a frame-machine, etc. If it's a cobbled together deathtrap, walk away.

That being said, you may be able to get a nice little car for pennies if you're willing to live with the issues (which you obviously are, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.)

Make sure you drive it, and then ask him to drive it and follow him to see how it tracks. Remember, he ain't selling that car to the average car buyer, they'll walk away as soon as they hear salvage- so use that to your advantage when negotiating.

Good luck!
Thats what I had in mind and I was thinkin of startin out at 3000 and if he wont take 3200 then im gone and your exactly right on the average buyer walking away when they here salveged/rebuilt title but if the car was rebuilt right and has no other flaws than what he told me then yeah I wouldnt mind giving 3200 but no more than that for sure.... Thanks for the info I really appreciate it alot....

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the car drove it and then looked at it again. It drives straight dont pull or anything it tracks straight I asked him to drive in front of me as we was leaving. Dont leak no fluids or anything shifts in gears fine. I checked carfax report and it says right rear damage by hitting a tree. It is orginally a georgia car.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
98 GT shopping

:wavey Whatcha gonna do.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:wavey Whatcha gonna do.
He told me 3500 and I drive it home but im tryin to round up money goin to give him a few days also he may decide to take 3200 and if I do go back im goin to look in trunk cause my girlfriends brother hit a phone pole on passenger side quaterpanel right where rear tire is his dad had insurance guy talked into fixin it till he looked in trunk where spare sits it was crinkled and he said thats basically impossiable to fix so they totaled it it was a 95 gt convertable.....

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
3500 is more then a fair price. salvage titles are not always a sign of bad things. some states have weird laws with them. my car got hit in the front just needed a new fender nothing bad at all but by state law it now has a salvage title. bunch of BS in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3500 is more then a fair price. salvage titles are not always a sign of bad things. some states have weird laws with them. my car got hit in the front just needed a new fender nothing bad at all but by state law it now has a salvage title. bunch of BS in my opinion.
Yeah your car sounds like it had slight damage nothing that question the insurance people if they should total or not this car had moderate damage on right rear impact with a tree the first owner didnt even have it a year and recked it and airbags did deploy so im guessin if I look in the trunk of this car it may not look to pretty but then again I dont know I didnt look there I was kinda in a hurry but I did what I wanted I checked for leaks before and after driving, it drives straight, tracks straight...... but like what was said before salvaged/rebuilt title scares 90% of normal car buyers away and yes it is hard to sell one cause it for sure aint worth the normal value thats why your better off partin it out....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.