Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a clunk in the rear end, feels like tire rocking foreward. Took off diff cover, no chips in pan, put magnet in fluid and no metallic sludge on it. Also no visible scores on gears, in park get 20 degrees of play when I turn wheel, u joints feel fine. I think. It's a bearing issue, there was a squeeking durring slow speed left turns,this happened only a few times, will be pulling shaft to check splines in an hour or so, any and all help would be helpful Thank you for all replies

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does it do this all the time? Or only during acceleration?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
For a clunk changing from reverse to drive, 1st thought - U-joints. 2nd thought, motor/transmission mounts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does it while moving too, mounts and busings feel ok, noise coming from driver side rear wheel, on a jack stand the wheel can be moved up/ down left/right but not in/out(doesn't telescope)

·
Registered
288 Posts
It does it while moving too, mounts and busings feel ok, noise coming from driver side rear wheel, on a jack stand the wheel can be moved up/ down left/right but not in/out(doesn't telescope)
I had a heck of a clunking noise while driving when I first got the GT and I traced it down to loose shock mounts on the anti tramp shocks (small horizontal shocks). I couldn't believe how much noise this made from such a little bit of slack. Check them out...very easy to do...I just reached in behind the rear wheel and rocked it for up and down movement in the rubber bushings. Snugged them up with a ratchet and no more noise!! At first I thoight the rear suspension was coming apart!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like I need an axle, and a bearing, had a mechanic buddy over today, 5/16 bolt snapped so we couldn't get it apart but gears ok, axle wobbling in the housing . Cross fingers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts