Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the spark plugs, and spark plug wires on my 98 GT due to the engine misfiring. I wasn't too worried as my Mustang has 138,000 miles on it and I figured the original spark plugs or spark plug wires had finally failed.

However, after using my timing light its clear that Cylinders #1, #3, #6 are still constantly misfiring. This problem only appears to occur at idle or low RPM's. I've searched the forums and looked through my Haynes Mustang Manual and I still can't come to a conclusion of what could be causing the problem. Could it be a faulty IAC or a fauly coil pack? I've taken it to the local repair shop and paid them $95 to tell me that they can't fix anything until something fails. So I'm left to my own resources. Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I would bet on a bad coil personally. Are all of those plug wires for the cylinder that are coming up misfiring going into the same 4 pack coil? If they are, I'd say you found your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are all from the same 4 pack coil. Thanks for the help. I guess ill be buying a new coil soon and see if that doesn't take care of the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.