Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up guys? my car has been burning some oil ever since i have switched to full synthetic oil, but i haven't really worried about it because it was only burning alittle less than a quart between oil changes. i changed my oil approx 2500 miles ago so i decided to see how much oil was burnt away. to my surprise the dip stick was bone dry:happyhapp thats about a quart+. where the heck is all my oil going. i'm not leaking any nor am i burning any. could it be faulty valve covers. i have 115,xxx miles on my car and am planning on doing big things with it this summer so i need to figure this out. any suggestions welcome

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
hey whats up guys? my car has been burning some oil ever since i have switched to full synthetic oil, but i haven't really worried about it because it was only burning alittle less than a quart between oil changes. i changed my oil approx 2500 miles ago so i decided to see how much oil was burnt away. to my surprise the dip stick was bone dry:happyhapp thats about a quart+. where the heck is all my oil going. i'm not leaking any nor am i burning any. could it be faulty valve covers. i have 115,xxx miles on my car and am planning on doing big things with it this summer so i need to figure this out. any suggestions welcome
What I've heard from numerous people is that the earlier 4.6L motors just eat some oil, I think 1 quart needed to be added between oil changes. So since you're down a quart after 2500 miles, I wouldn't worry about it at all, its common with your engine. When you do your next oil change, flush your motor out. The best way to do this is drain out 2 quarts of oil, add in 1 quart of automatic transmission fluid into your motor oil and run your car at idle for 30 min. Drain all of the engine oil out and refill. If you are using Mobile 1, I'd stop and switch to Castrol Syntec 20W50 motor oil. I bet you're using 10w30? A thicker oil will help seal up your internals and is more resistant to thermal breakdown.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i've heard that our early model 4.6 use some oil thats why i wasn't that concerned at first. but i added a quart and the oil barely touched the tip of the dip stick, which means its something alittle more than the car using some oil. valve covers can cause the oil to evaporate through the seals if they are bad. it just seems like alot of oil loss to me. how could i check to see if i'm lossin oil through the covers?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
ya i've heard that our early model 4.6 use some oil thats why i wasn't that concerned at first. but i added a quart and the oil barely touched the tip of the dip stick, which means its something alittle more than the car using some oil. valve covers can cause the oil to evaporate through the seals if they are bad. it just seems like alot of oil loss to me. how could i check to see if i'm lossin oil through the covers?
Do you know when the last time your valve cover gaskets were replaced? You should just get a set of new gaskets and re-seal the valve covers. That's the only way to tell if that was the source of oil loss and it's a good idea do replace these once in a while. They're pretty cheap, you can pick a set up here;
1994-2004 Ford Mustang - Felpro Valve Cover Gasket Set - Rubber

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the valve gaskets have never been changed. they are rubber didn't know that lol. seems like they are farely priced so ill pick them up for when i tare into my car this summer. thanks for the suggestions. could i be lossin oil anywhere else? like i said no visible oil leaks and no blue smoke to my knowledge

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no other suggestions?????:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
a quart between oil changes is pretty normal like the other guys said. my sons 98 does the same and my 01 uses or loses nothing. no oil leaks to be found nowhere on the 98.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
no other suggestions?????:headscratch:
Here's an interesting link regarding the 4.6L and oil usage. I asked around because I was curious to find out why the early 4.6's lose a quart of oil. The conclusion that for one reason or another, the oil pump gradually becomes less efficient before it fails and it allows your oil temp to rise higher than it should so you're evaporating it more quickly. The solution was to use a thicker oil, and make sure to change your pcv valve and air filter at each oil change. Also, a high performance oil pan and oil cooler will get the job done as well.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Check the compression to be sure your rings and valve seals are good, if they are it should be a simple solution like a seal, gasket, or poor choice of oil weight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.