Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1998 Mustang GT that makes a chirping sound when I make right turns over 10 MPH. The brakes rub at a certain point on the rotors, but my pads and rotors are only about 1 year old! Could this be caused by a bad hub or wheel bearing? All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ok, I have a 1998 Mustang GT that makes a chirping sound when I make right turns over 10 MPH. The brakes rub at a certain point on the rotors, but my pads and rotors are only about 1 year old! Could this be caused by a bad hub or wheel bearing? All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
A bad wheel bearing is usually when you turn the wheel one way, it will make a humming noise, not a chirp. If it is the wheel bearing when you turn the wheel to the right, it is the left wheel bearing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm...
First, thanks for the info.
but I still don't have a solid conclusion to why my Mustang squeaks. I know it isn't the suspension, it is something rotating because the squeak (chirp) gets faster as I increase speed. Does anyone else have or had this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
jack the front up and try to push the tire back and forth... or take a pry bar and pry on the bottom of the tire... if you get any play you have a bad wheel bearing or ball joint. if its solid and doesnt move, look at your brakes. they might not be bad, but maybe it has some junk in it ( grease dirt etc.)
I had a problem with my back brakes rattleing... it sounded just like a bad shock, turns out it was missing a retainer spring on one of the calipers. which is case and point why if you can do the work yourself, never take your car to a mechanic that is the lowest bidder... homeboy forgot to put all the parts back on my brake pads after he put my gears in... and the rotors were covered with dirty grease monkey finger prints... so squeeling and rattleing right out of the shop. thanks dude... thanks alot

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the info. I took my wheel and caliper off, but I can't get my rotor off...It is rusted to the hub (I think). I can shake the rotor/hub and it will make a small noise (from bearing movement). Also when I spin the rotor it makes a noise like metal (bearings) clicking together about every half turn.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1998 Mustang GT Rotor Stuck on Hub!

Okay, I am working on replacing the front driver side hub on my 1998 GT, but I ran into a small problem. My rotor won't come off. The clips that hold the rotor on are removed (The rotors were replaced a year ago), and the caliper is out of the way. I have heard that it just takes time, penetrating lube, and a lot of beatings to get the rotors free from being rusted on. Is it possible to damage anything in the process? I have already sprayed 1/4 of a can of liquid wrench on all seams, smacked the rotor with a dead blow hammer, shocked it with a metal hammer and even pried at it with a screw driver! What should I do? I'm trying my best not to destroy the rotor. Help Me!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything is fixed!

Well here are the facts... I removed the front wheels, calipers, but the rotors were stuck so I didn't bother taking them off. I removed the dust caps and took a 35mm socket and removed the front driver side hub retaining nut. Turned out that the play (I could shake the hub, which felt like a bad wheel bearing/hub) in the hub was caused by a loose retaining nut! After I greased everything, I reinstalled the hub with rotor rusted to it. I put the retaining nut back on (I know I should have bought a new one) and after I tightened it to about 250ft lbs, The slop in the hub was gone! It rotated smooth and was solid! After that was fixed I put some anti-squeak on the backs of the pads and on all contact points. I pumped my brakes and took it for a ride around the block. The squeak/chirp was gone and it rode great!:bigthumbsup

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.