Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I drove my 1998 Mustang GT 4.6 V8 for about 10 miles. I shut off the engine with the A/C on. I then got back into the car and started the engine with the A/C set on high. The engine got a really bad start and would not idle above 1,000 RPM. I would give it gas and the RPMs dropped below 500 and the engine was making knocking noises. I shut it off and tried to restart the engine. Same thing. It seemed like it wasn't getting gas. When I turn the key to the on position I don't hear the fuel pump. Could I have a bad pump or some faulty wiring? Please help me! Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Check the coolant and the oil first thing, that does not sound good. You can check the schrader valve on the fuel rail to see if there's fuel pressure, check the alternator, battery, and connections as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my 98 GT, ended up being the Idle Air Controller. You can use many higher end Code readers to view live data from the computer, and check the variations on the sensor.... could also be the Throttle Position sensor.. But Racin366 has it right, Oil and Coolant first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, it has been a while since my last post... I fixed the problem on my car and it starts no problem. Turns out it was a bad fuel pump! Easy fix... :yelpleased:

·
Registered
167 Posts
CHECK YOUR FUSES FIRST there is one under the hood i believe a 50amp that could have gone out causing your fuel pump noy to prime if that is the case and it keeps blowing you have a short it happened to me not too long ago

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.