Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery died a couple of weeks ago.. Thing is I think it shorted out my alarm and signals in the process. Ever since then I now have to unlock my car 3 to 15 times before my alarm chirps to allow me to start my car. Also my turn signals only blink one time then stop. I was pulled over last night for this and figured it was time to ask someone how to fix this.

If anyone can give me a step to step process to fix this. It would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a similar problem in my 98 when i replaced my battery. All i did was pull the negative power cable on the batter for 30 seconds and it reset eveverything. I didnt have the problem with blinkers though. just the doors and starting the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So pulling the plug off will reset it it self or will I need to pull it and then do a reboot process after?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just pulled the plug and it reset itself. I didnt have to do anything else.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
What exactly is the issue with the blinkers? It could be something totally different...

But as far as resetting the car, I'm pretty sure you need more than 30 secs to totally drain the computer -- I think you should disconnect for 20-30 mins. AM says at least 10 mins in place (How To Install A FR500 Mustang Steering Wheel - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com) and 15 mins in another (How to Install Mustang Gauge Inserts - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com). And I remember when I installed my CAI, it said to disconnect for 20 mins in order to reset the ECU -- so that's what I would do (and it may solve your blinker issue). :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is i engage my blinkers and the rod stays down. But it blinks 1 or 2 times and then it just stops but the rod stays down.. But the blinker signal on my dash and my actually signal didn't stops. And it started doing it after my battery died so it has to be a result from that.

I was pulled over 2 times last week and that's why I figured it was enough and time to fix it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
^^^ I'm confused... what blinks a few times and then stops? You said both your dash indicator and the actual signal light don't stop... Or did you misword something:?:

Anyways, you need to try to completely reset the ECU like I suggested. Also, make sure all the fuses are OK from the battery change; check connections for the lights. If one indicator light is blinking faster -- then the other light needs replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might have miss worded something.. I put my blinkers on and they flash 2 times then stop... Sometimes 5 times some times they don't blink at all.. The emergency flashers go off and on with no problem.. I've already checked the button to see if its half engaged cutting the blinker signal and its not.. Im ganna go unhook my ECU right now so Ill let you guys know if that works..

And hopefully soon Ill find my camera and make a quick little video to show you whats going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I took off the neg cable for about 30 min and that didn't help with the blinkers.. Any other ideas??

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I might have miss worded something.. I put my blinkers on and they flash 2 times then stop... Sometimes 5 times some times they don't blink at all.. The emergency flashers go off and on with no problem.. I've already checked the button to see if its half engaged cutting the blinker signal and its not.. Im ganna go unhook my ECU right now so Ill let you guys know if that works..

And hopefully soon Ill find my camera and make a quick little video to show you whats going on.
That makes a little more sense... try checking all the wires/ connectors from the turn signal to the lights. I was messing around with my steering column once and accidentally pulled out the wire for my rear turn signal. It didn't blink as crazy as yours -- it just didn't blink at all! :shigrin But if one of them was loose, it might cause the odd blinking your experiencing. I would suspect it's somewhere between the turn signal on the column and the fuse box, since you are having no problem with the hazards. :bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.