Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im new to this site and not sure if Im posting in the right area, but here it goes. I have a 1998 v6 with 151000 miles, and basically the only thing I have modded is the air intake. I've owned 2 mustangs and 7 cars in my 23 years and have pretty good knowledge of cars and engines, my dad also worked for ford for over 20 years. This problem is baffeling my mind though, I noticed for a while now it has been shifting pretty heavy almost like a clunk especially in second and thrid gear and it has been idleing pretty rough. When I let my foot off the accelerator when its shifting the clunk is minimised and for the most part gone but when I floor it, it's really bad. The rpms have been dropping way below 1000 while in park lately and sometimes it feels like the car's almost about to die. Also my RPM gague hasn't been working unless I press the reset button on my mileage tracker gague, then it works until I turn the car off!

I also should mention that since I've bought the car I've had a p0410 ( secondary air injection failure) and a p01151 ( lean post cat o2 sensor) code pop up almost continuiously. I believe I fixed the p0410 problem by taking off and rebuilding the air bypass valve. I saw that the spring had gotten jammed inside and put it back in place and sprayed some WD40 on it. I l also took apart and rebuild the secondary air pump and put a better air filter on it. The code has only come up once in the last 8 months but it was breif and never came back, and the car was running great all summer. It seems to come back, drive and idle rough, and have trouble switching gears when its really cold out for some reason; when it's hot out it drives perfect! I have changed the oxygen sensors 3 times and the p01151 code will dissappear for a while but always comes back and the car starts runnig like sh*t again. It seems to drive a little better when I clear the code with my code checker though, I was even able to pass a smog test I failed a few days prior to buying the checker by just clearing the code. ( the check engine light came on half way through the first test but they said the emissions were way too high anyways and it was registered a gross polluter.) I cleared the code and took it back and they said it passed with flying colors!!! :p

One last thing I'd like to mention is a ticking noise comming from the engine I've noticed it especially happends when its cold outside and I have the car in any gear except park! When its in park it doesn't make the sound so Im positive its not a knocking rod. Ill also mention that I recently replaced my spark plugs and I dont believe they are the cause of the problems because it ran the same before and after I changed them.

I'm thinking perhaps the air bypass valve is the cause of all these problems but I have yet to purchase a new one because I can't find the part online or at any retailers. I also think I might have a vacuum leak somewhere or something may be off in the emissions system. Can someone please help, any suggestions or theories would be appreciated. Or maybe I should just buy my car a heating blanket since it seems to like the warm so much, either way... Thank you for reading. I look foreward to your responses as this is the main place I come to when I have any questions about something on my baby :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to ad, does anyone think all my problems may be comming from the bearing on the universal on the drive shaft?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts