Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C works really good it will freeze me out on a hot day but I have been noticing the A/C clutch cycling on and off about every 5-10 secs when I am idling or driving. It first started doing it only on Max A/C but now is doing it under Normal and Max.
I did put the gauge on it and it kicks off right when it gets to 45 just before the yellow and drops down to 25 and kicks on again. I don't think its low on freon because it still gets freezing cold, maybe would not hurt to add some, I did add 1/2 a can last year was a little low but not kicking on and off like it is now. Anyway what other things could cause this?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I don't know much about AC systems, I'm just here to keep the thread alive. I'm statring to develop some issues with my AC in my 05 V6. My Haynes manual doesn't say much, just that a fully functional system should blow air that is 40F below ambient and if its less than 30F put in one can of refrigerant, not two.

Excessive cycling sounds like a controller issue, or a loose wire to the clutch.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Happened on my '00 GT. There is whats called a low pressure switch and a high pressure switch that tells the a/c when to kick on and off. There's more to it, I just can't explain it. My low pressure switch was out. Unfortunately I had to take it to Christian Brothers Auto so they could do a full diagnostic to find out which one was out. They replaced it and my a/c works great! If I remember right it was around $150 for everything. Which isn't to bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah was thinking it might be a switch or some kind of sensor going out, weird thing is though last night went to check it again and it stayed running with out kicking off and gauge read steady at a little under 45 when on Normal then like around 38-40 when on Max.

My Stang does have 175k so would not surprise me if I do have a switch or something going bad and my A/C has never been serviced before besides me just giving it 1/2 a can of freon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts