Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, wondering if anyone can help me out or give me some opinions. So I've got a 98 v6 mustang for my first car, and I absolutely love it. I have already added some things including dual exhaust, stereo upgrade, etc.... But what i really want to do is add some horses to it, I feel that it is quite slow. It has around 150 hp and I was thinking about doing an engine swap, not sure what would need to be purchased in order to complete it. I want to keep it a v6, so i was thinking about trying to find a 2000 v6 3.8 engine because it has 40 hp more. Does anyone know if I could just swap then engines or do I need to swap the computers, transmission, anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated :worship

Also, if anyone knows of any other v6 engines that would go well in it without too much trouble, please post them. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Yes.. it is quite slow lol

You can swap in a newer engine. Lots of people have done this including me. You will need to address a few issues. Google "split port swap." That will cover most of it. Although some of it won't apply if you are swapping the whole engine.

Computer and trans can stay, but you will need a chip or tuner to run the larger injectors on the newer motor.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Well mine is a 4.2 so I did notice a lot on the low end. Top end does not feel like 33% more hp, but then again the car was down several months when I swapped, so maybe I forgot what it felt like before. I've been meaning to put it on the dyno and see what it puts down and see where my afr is at. I don't have an actual tune..... just fixed the injector size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I did get my hands on a 4.2 from an F-150, what would need to be done? Just put it in and fix the injector size/get a tuner?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts