Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 1998 V6 mustang, stock y piping looking to upgrade to a divorced dual set up soon, but for right now I plan on sticking with a single exhuast set up and replace my stock muffler with a thrush welded muffler. I've done a lot of research and have found that I like the sound of having no cats with a divorced dual set up with two thrush mufflers but I would like to know if removing cats now with just the single pipe and the thrush muffler has any advantages or disadvantages. Thanks I'm advance for help!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
A couple of FYI's
1. The pro's...its sounds great!
2. Removing the cats will really not gain much power.....even on the most manipulated dyno tests...the 5.0 at redline only saw an increase of 15bph.
3. Even though you are exempt from inspections, you are not exempt from the requirement to have them- even US Fish & Game Wardens carry a manual that identifies each vehicle and the required smog equipment, illegal engines changes, etc with pics of how to ID.
4. Any law enforcement officer (including fish & game), EPA inspector, etc. can impound the vehicle and cite it as a gross polluter
5. Once cited, a judge will decide if the vehicle is to be scrapped or returned to the owner- and you do not have any opportunity to speak in court- just required to sit & listen.
6. if the vehicle is returned- guess what, now you have to repair and take the vehicle to a federal referee station for the rest of "its life" for a smog inspection & test.

IMHO, it's not worth the risk versus the little gain.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I can tell you that removing the cats kills your low end torque. Did for me. Most police don't drive around looking for a car with no cats on it, they really don't care too much unless you're a jerk and draw attention to yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts