Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's the deal, first time ever owning a Mustang so any help is greatly appreciated. Just bought a 98 convertible with high miles, previous owner did not take care of the coolant system. Flushed it and the water pump went out. Can't afford the factory so picked one up from Autozone. The solid bypass hose pushes in and on the factory seat against and o-ring at a ridge. The Autozone pump does not have the ridge but came with the o-ring. Is it the wrong pump? Is there a new application for installing the bypass line? Help me out please, love the car and want to start driving it.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Welcome not sure what motor you are running so the best that I can tell you is to check out the tech forums for some help.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM Steve! Like Jim says, are you in the 3.8 V6 or the 4.6 V8? Let us know and we can direct you to a section of the forums that will have answers for you.

Thanks for joining!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mustang 3.8

Crazy work week and just getting back to the post. The car has a 3.8. Found the type of fitting ford is using for the application. It is a push in type end with a seal around it. There is no picture for the new hose from the dealership but they tell me it is $162. for the new hose with the new style of end. Can't believe there is not another less expensive way to fix what is one of the most common cars on the road.

Thanks,
Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the engine... I moved this here to the V6 Tech section for you to get some help for the gurus here.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced my water pump recently.
you're gonna need a power steering pulley puller to remove the pulley, and take off the bracket that's on the front of the water pump and power steering pump.
Then undo all the bolts, and the bypass hose (the tube that goes into the top of the water pump)
The tube has an o-ring on it, and when i put my new pump on i just put the tube into the top of the water pump.
If the water pump doesn't have the hole for the bypass tube, it sounds like the wrong pump.
that's just my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts