Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 mustang, v6, manual.
Earlier this week I got my car back after having the transmission rebuilt and clutch replaced. Driving home that evening My speedometer died, needle dropped to the peg. Next morning I checked the fuses and inspected what cables I could. Everything looked good. All other gauges are fine, the odometer and trip counter went out too.
I called the shop that did the work, no one there knew anything and said the guy that did the work, the guy who would know, is out and will be out till next week. Just my luck.

So, Is there anything I can check now? Anything hidden cable or something that might have come loose?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
98 mustang, v6, manual.
Earlier this week I got my car back after having the transmission rebuilt and clutch replaced. Driving home that evening My speedometer died, needle dropped to the peg. Next morning I checked the fuses and inspected what cables I could. Everything looked good. All other gauges are fine, the odometer and trip counter went out too.
I called the shop that did the work, no one there knew anything and said the guy that did the work, the guy who would know, is out and will be out till next week. Just my luck.

So, Is there anything I can check now? Anything hidden cable or something that might have come loose?

Now I'm not 100% sure on the T5 V6 but the GT's didn't go electronic until 1999. So...with that being said, assuming it is mechanical, remove the speedo cable from the tail housing and look up inside the tail and see if you can see the worm gear on the output shaft. If so, using your pinky finger, feel around on it and see if you can tell if a tooth or 2 is chipped or broken.
If that checks out, take a regular 3/8" drill and grab onto the end of the speedo cable and spin it up using the drill and see if the speedo is working now or not. If it is, then it is inside the transmission, if it isn't, then it is somewhere between the cable and the dash. I would then remove the cable from the dash and pull the steel braided inner cable out of the speedo cable housing and make sure it isn't broken. I have seen that happen a bunch. If it is in one piece, then it has to be in the speedo head in the dash.

Now, assuming the T5 is electronic, then pull the sending unit out of the tail, and like I described above, look up inside the tail and see if you can see the metal reluctor ring on the output shaft. Check it for broken teeth as well. If that checks out, make sure there wire connector is properly clipped on to the sending unit (you'd be surprised especially since the tranny was out of the car for repair) and check the connection at the back of the speedo head as well. If that checks out, then you're going to need an ohm meter and start checking for continuity throughout the wiring system between the VSS and the dash.

You sure you checked the correct fuse? Electronic gauges have a specific fuse for the speedo. :scratchchin

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I had the shop check out the sensor near the transmission, its is good. They were unable to find the exact problem and want me to come back another time and leave my car with them for a day.

What I want to do is check the connection behind the speedo. I attempted to get the plastic covering off around the panel, but the light knob prevented me from getting it off all the way. Anyone know of how I can get around the knob? I'll also go through the fuses again, found a fuse diagram and will check in detail.
Assuming I fix the speedo, how would I set the odometer to the correct mileage?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.