Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just found out that i might need a whole new gauge cluster... my speedometer needle doesn't really work anymore. it jumps up to speed when i accelerate and when i come to a stop it jumps to the lower mphs randomly and hardly ever reaches 0mph. Ford told me that my computer behind my cluster is going bad and that id need a whole new cluster which from them is over $300 or go to a junk yard. has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
do you have gauge inserts? are you sure the needle isn't rubbing on the insert and sticking?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do have an insert...when i bought the car it came with one already in. and at one time i took everything out (can't remember why) and im pretty sure that there isn't the original black cluster behind the insert. idk if thats how its suppose to be or not. it is possible that it could be rubbing. last night a started tapping on the plastic glass and then the needle started moving...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
+1 mark.

hit the nail on the head with that one. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll suggest you get your speedometer fixed, don't go out and by one. just send your speedo out to get it fixed. If you just replace it you won't be able to start your car. I learned the hard way.:smirk:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
42 Posts
get a used one from a salvage yard. i picked up a new one last weekend for 16 bucks cuz my tach doesnt work

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
take your cluster out and turn the needle to any point say about the 40 mph position and let go see if it sticks or will float back down to zero.. if it gets stuck.. inspect the needle see if its hanging up on anything and if the insert is touching the center black part of the needle..

if it is.. a simple fix is use a fork and gently pry it straight up so it sits a little farther out on its peg.. thats what i did with mine it was hanging up a l ittle bit.. my issue was a little temperature sensitive too.. when i had it up at school Troy, NY in the winter and it was so cold all the time the needles worked fine.. till the car heated up inside if i had the heater on then theyd expand slightly and stick a little..

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Ford told me that my computer behind my cluster is going bad and that id need a whole new cluster
yeah, they did just a crackerjack job of diagnosing that, i can tell. :nono:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
lol well it WOULD fix his problem.... the hanging needle.. tho hed also lose his inserts lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
take your cluster out and turn the needle to any point say about the 40 mph position and let go see if it sticks or will float back down to zero.. if it gets stuck.. inspect the needle see if its hanging up on anything and if the insert is touching the center black part of the needle..

if it is.. a simple fix is use a fork and gently pry it straight up so it sits a little farther out on its peg.. thats what i did with mine it was hanging up a l ittle bit.. my issue was a little temperature sensitive too.. when i had it up at school Troy, NY in the winter and it was so cold all the time the needles worked fine.. till the car heated up inside if i had the heater on then theyd expand slightly and stick a little..
i will try that! if that doesn't work ill let you know. I think ive asked this before and i saw u responded, but id like to put mach 1 gauges into my 98 v6. i think i remember u saying it would effect the "PATS" system? I really wouldn't mind a good challenge, but i just don't wanna spend a huge fortune on a gauge cluster...Thanks for any advice

haha ya...well i actually called them and told them what was going on. i think they said it would be like $30 for an inspection by them. id rather not spend that money on something i can do. haha. and this site saves me some cash too from all the help from you guys!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had Mach 1 gauges in my 01 V6. You need to take them apart and swap the main circuit boards one for the other. Slowly pry it off the rear side of the actual gauges.(pins) You will then have a V6 calibrated speedo on a GT spread. Works good other than inaccurate needle position. Good luck!
i think that might be somewhat what i need to do right? i was looking at some pics on how to do it also. just wondering if it would fit in a 98 seeing as how its a whole different model and also my odometer isn't electrical it's on the rollers. hopefully it can still be done. id really like to do this. for one i love the looks of these gauges way better than mine. and two i have mach 1 rims.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I just tried this. i have the whole cluster out and i moved the needle up on its peg a lil more tried it didn't work, same problem. i even took it off its peg to inspect it and nothing looks out of the ordinary. whats next to do?? do u think my whole gauge is bad now??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.