Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so call me dumb, but somehow I managed to hit our mailbox as I was backing up into the spot I usually park. Normally I have around half a feet to a feet clearance from my passenger side mirror to the mailbox as I back up next to the curb. Behind me there is always a F150 truck parked so I look out my rear window to make sure I don't get too close. I live in a neighborhood, our garage is full of junk, seasonal items we store, and a bench press etc., so my mom and dad park their cars in the driveway while I have to park by the curb.

Anyways, as I was parking tonight, I somehow got too close to the curb when I started backing up, and my passenger side window hit the mailbox. Plastic mailbox on a wooden support, or whatever. I saw the mailbox and the mailbox twist and the two out of three plastic hinges for the lid broke off. (I noticed it a little too late.. The mirror had already partially broken off) The mirror housing is fine, not even a scratch, but the mirror itself came loose and won't move. I tried to press it back in, to see if it would clip on to something, but nothing. I tried to use the power switch for it again and it would move up and down, though the mirror moved diagonally upwards and right, or downwards and left. It's dark outside, so I just popped the lid on the mailbox back on and made sure the mirror would stay in place and went inside. I'm pretty upset, but will have a closer look at it in the morning. I did search some, but all I could find was threads about the entire mirror housing breaking, not just the mirror/power functions of it.

I would greatly appreciate any help on how to fix this, preferably without paying for a new mirror assembly. I know I will be receiving some money for Christmas (I am kind of broke now), but I was hoping to spend those on saving for lowering springs, new shocks/struts, and C&C plates, as well as a few cosmetic upgrades like the Mach 1 chin spoiler. I'll try to get some pictures of it in the morning, as I know this will be helpful in getting a better answer as for what to do.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
The only thing you can do at this point is remove the whole thing from the door so you can take it apart and see how busted up it really is. If you end up having to replace it, I would think it shouldn't be too expensive at a junkyard or maybe somebody on your local CL is parting out a car.

My wife did this to the passenger side mirror on her car, for now I just have a folded up paper towel stuffed in there to keep the mirror from flopping around; looks crappy but it's worked pretty well for a few months now.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I might just have to find a temporary solution for now while I save up for a new mirror. It's the mirror itself that has come loose from whatever it is that is holding it down behind it. I tried googleing it, but no luck. I guess the mirrors are just one thing many take for granted :shigrin

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Being a youngster, the cops are going to have a hayday with a broken mirror. best getr fixed as soon as you can. :gringreen

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being a youngster, the cops are going to have a hayday with a broken mirror. best getr fixed as soon as you can. :gringreen
It's still hangin in there! (barely...) Luckily it's only the mirror it self, the housing is still rock solid like it's supposed to. :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I can not speak toward those. But, I did replace both of my mirrors with a set of Kool-Vue oem replacements for 68.95 and that included shipping.

The only thing that was different was the size of the font in the passenger mirror where it says something about "objects may appear..." I think the font was a little bit larger then stock ford. Other then that. the mounting was perfect. The texture and color was perfect. The mirrors I bought are a great value and had the same quality of the ford mirrors I took off.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, sounds good. Thank you! If I'm buying new ones I might just save up and get two, as the color on my stock ones are getting faded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts