Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electric green 1999 Cobra (stock) that I've been cleaning and working on for a while now. I'd like to supercharge it, but with the absolute minimum of engine or part modifications. I pretty much want to install a supercharger and go. I'm just afraid to put too much into it and blow the engine or other parts. Can anyone recommend to me a decent supercharger? I don't need huge amounts of power (no plans for the track), but I'd like more. I'm pretty new to the vehicle, so advice is very much appreciated! Thanks! :kooky:

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Well prepare to open up your wallet, there's not really "inexpensive" supercharging that's worth anything (I'm probably one of the very few who has a supercharged 96 these days)...your stock block can only take about 6psi (maybe 75-100hp), I went with Kenne Bell as it seemed to be the least "extreme" of all the superchargers out there (I don't race my car, it's my 2nd car and just for pleasure, it runs better, but not like you would expect, also I have a full exhaust and suspension mods, another $4-5000)...however, be prepared to shell out about $5-7K to upgrade your car for the blower and fuel system upgrades/tuning etc alone...at that point you should just sell the stock engine or car and do a "terminator" swap, you'll be way ahead financially and in HP/longevity in the long run...I know it's not what you want to hear, but listen to experience...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Used Vortech head unit with 8 psi of Boost,piece together your own piping etc.. 42 lb injectors,higher flow fuel pump,NGK TR-6 plugs, and a O/R midpipe should do you good!:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Hey Brutal, that is a roll of the dice to buy a Vortech used...or any other used supercharge...C'mon, Vortech is well known to be quite unreliable, also that non forged block is not prone to alot of non intercooled boost or any other boost over about 6-8psi...he has no exhaust or other fuel system upgrades/tuning, suspension etc...I'd still go with Terminator swap, I know you love that Eaton!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Alright well i can argue that...i have a 97 with a Vortech v-2 running 12lbs of boost the car has 80,000 miles on it and the vortech has 50,000 on it and its still perfect like the day it was installed, vortech is one of the only supercharging applications that will NOT void factory warranties and can be used with no upgrades to a stock engine, if you get the kit that includes a retune of the ECU and an upgraded fuel pump and fuel regulator then you can install all of that with no engine mods and have a supercharged car with no worries of engine damage, you dont even have to change the fuel injectors, if you decide to run higher boost in the future you have to upgrade some things but under 9lbs of boost even the gaskets arnt at risk, im running 12lbs like i said and i have a few other mods and i have 470ft/lbs and 500hp so its not a weak application

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Oh YES I agree bro, I'd want to know the FULL pedigree of that Vortech, I've seen quite a few around practically brand new for reasonable prices. I'm watching one right now online that's polished and never been on a car..
He could run an 8 pound kit pretty safely with a good tune and fuel upgrades!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.