Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to put 1999 cobra wheels on my 19993 fox. i know i have to convert to 5 lug (no problem been there done that) but i have read that they will not fit on ranger rotors because of the dust cap? also have read if you use a freeze plug you can put them on no problem. so WITHOUT using wheel spacers can i do this? or will i have to try and find a 1994-1995 mustang to steal the front knuckles and brakes off of? thanks guys in advance. i love the look of these wheels on fox bodys just trying not to buy something i don't need.:D

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Not sure about using a freeze plug in place of a dust cap. I'm guessing the trick is to tap it in backwards? Sure it might work, but it ain't gonna be fun when it's time to replace the rotors.

Different wheel but similar backspacing. I run a set of '95 Waffle Ponies on my '91. They're 16" but I believe the Cobra wheels you're talking about are 17". Either way, I had to be careful about tire selection. Even with the tires on the car now, I can just barely run my fingers between the tire and the strut.

If I had to do it all over again ( and I will soon), I'd go the SN95 spindle route. There are advantages beyond wheel fitment. Bigger brakes, sealed bearing hubs, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, to run the '99 model year wheels, you're going to want '96 and later spindles. There's something different about the '94/ '95 spindles, but I can't remember what it is right now I'm thinkin' they push the wheels out farther than later spindles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah they push it out farther and causes a bad bump steer. i would go the sn95 route but i wanna put these wheels on soon but i can't seem to find any 94-95 mustangs in junkyards aroud here. :(

yes i have the 17x9 rims, idk how hard it would be to get a freeze plug out of it either. honestly i don't even know if thats the part that hits or not. any one know. i love the look of these wheels:cooldude:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i might do that^^ also just wondering will a super coupe front brakes work on a mustang to convert to 5 lug? i've heard they are a metric wheel anyone know? i am buying a super coupe for the motor and trans (will be going in a 1964 f-100:gringreen) and kinda hoping maybe i won't even have to hit a junk yard....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts