Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 Ford Mustang. it's a 3.8L V6 with a manual transmission. She started up great the first time and i drove her home fine. I turned it off in my driveway for a while then came back later that day to start it up but she would just keep cranking and not turn over. And today it started up fine and then when i turned it off and tried to turn it back on it did the same thing, Cranking but not turning over. I have replaced the battery and alternator and checked the spark plugs. they're good. (I don't know alot about cars because im young and don't have much experience.) I was watching Scotty Kilmer videos about the issue on youtube. I tried the Starter fluid trick and that didn't work. I checked the lines and all that (they were bone dry) So im starting to think it's the fuel pump. i will go to prime the pump by turning over the key and i can hear it prime. Maybe it is pressure? Any help on this subject would greatly help. I will provide more information as it comes. Thank you!

·
Registered
206 Posts
if it starts sometimes and not others, not likly fuel pump. not batt or altinator or starter. my first guess would be a faulty Crank Positioner Sensor. it counts number or revolutions each time car is ran so the computer remembers the timing once it is shut off. if it is faulty, it can cause this. it sits on bottom of front of engine next to, likly on top of the lower pulley ( harmonic balencer)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
no.. all the crank sensor does is sense.. it doesn't remember anything.. that's the computer's job. i don't suggest just changing the sensor.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump run each time the key is turned on (do not crank)?

What is the theft light doing?

What happens if the throttle held half way open during cranking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear a sound from the tank sort of like a clunk sound that lasts half a second then it stops. During cranking there is no sound from the pump. The car sounds fine during cranking but it just doesnt turn over. As if it wants to but is lacking something to get it going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the theft light will blink a few times when i turn the key to the On position then turn off. once i take the key out it will blink. and when i shut the door it will just blink every once in a while when i lock the door

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know where the ICRM on this year is located? I was told to check between the coolant reservoir and the radiator but no such luck

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
the theft light will blink a few times when i turn the key to the On position then turn off. once i take the key out it will blink. and when i shut the door it will just blink every once in a while when i lock the door
Turn the key on but do not crank. Does the theft light go off after a 3 second "prove out"? If not, STOP and find out why.

Does the theft light blink during cranking? If yes, STOP and find out why.

For the 99-04 MY, the PATS system disables fuel and spark. This creates a crank with no start symptom.

The slow blink when the key is out is normal. It's a reminder that the PATS system is active.

For any suspected PATS issues, try the just the key in the ignition. Sometime large metal object can prevent reading of the key code. Also try unlocking the driver's door with the key. This will sometimes reset PATS. Locking/locking with the remote key FOB will also reset PATS.

Note, a loose battery connection can cause false tripping of the PATS system. Today's cars will not run right without a strong battery can charging system.

It is NORMAL to hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds at initial key on. It will shut off and not run again until the PCM detects that the motor has started.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Especially between the MAF and throttle body? Check the PCV value for vacuum leaks. Check all around for any source of vacuum leaks.

Also check the AIR injection system as this can sometimes cause no starts.

OBTW; I don't think that a 99 has a IMRC. Only engines with a split port intake will have a IMRC.

If you are looking for the CCRM, it's either on the coolant recovery tank or in the right hand fender well. It necessary to remove the plastic fender liner to access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts