Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my names Kenny I recently joined the forums from constantly looking things up about my stang and found some really good helpful info on here. My question for you guys on here what mods should I look for to get the best bang for your buck/ real hp gains on my 1999 Ford Mustang GT?? Right now its purely stock besides a BBK CAI and I'm the second owner of the car bought it from a guy that got the car from an auction. Did a carfax on the car as well it had a laundry list of upgrades to the car just the normal wear and tear of parts that have been replaced by a reputable place. I do have some knowledge by reading on here about getting gears 3.73, an exhaust, etc. Anybody with the same type of car that can give me some advice would be great. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Do you have any specific goals for the car, and a realistic budget that you're willing to go over by about 30% to make it happen? Because it always costs a little more than you planned on.

If you just wanna do bolt ons and have modest power but still a thouroughly enjoyable car then go for it. TB/plenum, exhaust midpipe, mufflers or catback of choice, gears (I like 4.10's but do your homework) and tune will all make it noticeably quicker and more fun than it is now. About the only modern cars you'll be able to stay out in front of though are V6 Mustangs and Camaros. That stuff is generally sort of the intro to modding.

If you want any sort of real power it will absolutely require a power adder. Supercharger, turbo or N2O. None are inexpensive. Turbo or supercharger, you can piece all the varous items together and save a little money but unless you rob somebody at gunpoint figure it's still gonna run you minimum $3500 + tuning. N2O is the least expensive but for a pretty decent setup figure you're in about $1500. The $700 wet kits that say they have everything you need, don't have everything you need. Plus it will absolutely still need some tuning as well.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Short throw shifter should be your first mod. And the suspension/chassis/brakes on these cars leave a bit to be desired as well. It never ends, there will never be a day when you walk out to your garage, admire the car and say "done". Just fair warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any specific goals for the car, and a realistic budget that you're willing to go over by about 30% to make it happen? Because it always costs a little more than you planned on.

If you just wanna do bolt ons and have modest power but still a thouroughly enjoyable car then go for it. TB/plenum, exhaust midpipe, mufflers or catback of choice, gears (I like 4.10's but do your homework) and tune will all make it noticeably quicker and more fun than it is now. About the only modern cars you'll be able to stay out in front of though are V6 Mustangs and Camaros. That stuff is generally sort of the intro to modding.

If you want any sort of real power it will absolutely require a power adder. Supercharger, turbo or N2O. None are inexpensive. Turbo or supercharger, you can piece all the varous items together and save a little money but unless you rob somebody at gunpoint figure it's still gonna run you minimum $3500 + tuning. N2O is the least expensive but for a pretty decent setup figure you're in about $1500. The $700 wet kits that say they have everything you need, don't have everything you need. Plus it will absolutely still need some tuning as well.
I've been thinking about forced induction like a vortech or pro charger it seems like the only real way to get some power out the 2v's. Do you have any recommendations on that part? I have lowering springs on the way to Cali can't live with that 4x4 look that comes with the stock springs. My next purchase looks to be either an exhaust or gears. Can I ask what type of mods you've you done to your 2v as of now?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I have basically every bolt on + tune, with exception to headers (which I do have a set but just not attached to the car). Suspension - Eibach Sportlines (2" drop), Koni STR.T's, MM lca's, MM c/c plates, bumpsteer kit, BBK shock tower brace, MM subframes (waiting to go on for an incredibly long time now). And 4.10 gears, of course.

Would like cams and Procharger. For a while there it was looking like cams might happen this fall but financially it's been a super sh!tty summer and I'm just now starting to get my crap back together in that dept. So maybe next spring if I stay busy. The smarter decision would be start putting together for a blower though; the most expensive part is the head unit ($2K+), after that it's just the odds n' ends.

As far as Procharger vs Vortech they are both good. Paxton are also very good. I've settled toward Procharger P1SC, I like that it is self contained as far as oiling (which Vortech and Paxton also offer on various models) and has a higher ratio gearing than Vortech V1-3 which basically allows to to run a larger diameter pulley than you would on the Vortech to get a given amount of boost. Larger pulley decreases the chances of belt slippage, but at the power level and boost amount I plan on (no more than 10 psi) probably doesn't matter anyway - that belt slippage stuff usually comes into play when trying to go over 12-14 psi and the cure is an 8 rib belt setup or cog if you're going for a really high amount of boost.

Sorry if my post was a bit rambling. It's the coffee portion of my day right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha no problem with the rambling. How much did it cost for you to install/Labor on the gears and the tune? What type of tuner and gas you running? I feel like a tune would really wake the car up. Are you against canned tunes like BAMA, SCT??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts