Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I bought a 99 GT last year and all I have are problems.The car is a one owner adult owned vehicle.That does not seem to make any difference all i am having is problem after problem.She has 78000 miles on her when i noticed a coolant leak at the intake manifold.I replaced it with a dorman.During the swap I saw a little engine oil on the block under the intake.I cleaned it and put it back together.At first all was great no more coolant leak.Now a week later i see oil again under the manifold on the block.It is coming from the head gasket near the thermostat housing.Not alot just a drop or so every 10 minutes.I am a mechanic for a local bus company and have the tools to change the gaskets but my question is could the head be warped and causing the leak.Is this a common problem or just me.Any info would be much appriciated.Also the exhaust bolts are all rust any suggestions on getting them off without breaking them.I think i should have kept my 88 GT.I only had half the problems. MIKE :headscratch:

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
not really common on these cars but it can happen, pretty much happen to any car. i don't think your head is warped, could have it checked though but due to aluminum heads on a cast iron block, the heat expansion and cooling, both are different and can wear that gasket out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only me with these problems.I see atorque spec sheet for 94 to 98 4.6 on this site Anyone know where i can get 99 to 04 specs.I know the 99 was first year for pi heads.Are torque specs different

:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
PM me your email address and remind me that you want the 4.6L PI head removal and installation procedure from Ford. I have the procedure for Ford for the the 2000 GT, but it should be identical with a few small if any differences. It should have torque sequences and ratings included.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Are you certain the leak is from the head and not the valve cover? Try testing the compression first, you may have a much simpler problem. Its possible the head is warped or cracked, but the only way to check for sure would be to have it off and check with a very good straight edge and magnaflux it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.