Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted a little about this issue but i havnt heard much other than a pressure or leak test. Ive heard that those dont always find the issue though.
So I wanted to run something by everyone.
Symptoms
Burned coolant smell in cab when heat turned on.
Slight fogging of passenger side windshield.
Low coolant light on sometimes.
Sweet burned coolant smell from engine area.
Theres no leaking coolant on my passenger side floor mat, so i dont think its the heater core.

What i do think is that my intake may be the issue.
Ive read a few posts about a plastic intake that is overall horrible, is my year GT plagued by it?
Ive also seen something about a cracked intake that lead to a coolant leak.
ANY ideas? If im a mile and a half off, someone let me know haha. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had some of the same issues and i replaced my rad cap and it went away. i would try that 1st and if that doesnt work do the pressure test. the tool is only 10 bucks at advance auto. hope that helps.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
No, the pressure tester is typically a rented tool. I think AutoZone charges $50 to rent it, and that $50 is refunded when you return the tool.

The window fogging up symptom SCREAMS heater core, hope that's not it.

And yes, your year car is one of those plagued by the intake manifold thing. The common spot is the coolant crossover near the front of the engine (which is why the 2002-up cars and replacement manifolds have the cast aluminum section), but the plastic nipple the heater core hose attaches to over by cyl. # 4 can be a weak spot too.

When you pressurize it with the testing tool, if it's not holding pressure (and it sounds like it won't) I would take a spray bottle filled with a 70/30 solution of dishsoap and water (the soap is the 70) and spray around any and all hose fittings related to the cooling system that you can find. If it fizzles and bubbles, there's your leak.

If it does turn out to be the heater core, I wish you the best of luck. It's not an expensive part, but it is a very labor intensive job which requires removal of the entire dash. If you have to pay to have it done, I've heard it costs around $1000. If you do it yourself, I've heard it takes a full weekend to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts