Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Mustang world and I just inherited a 1999 Mustang GT. It is an automatic and I was wondering if it was worth it to swap it out to a Manual transmission or if there was anything I could do with the Automatic transmission to squeeze some more performance out of it.

A few things to consider concerning my driving habits:
The car is my daily driver and I do not race, I simply like having a car that runs well, sounds nice, and has a lot of horsepower.

I used to have a 99 Nissan Truck and I went through a few too many clutches because of bad driving habits when it comes to Manual Transmissions (I ride the clutch, I pop it too much, After 3 years driving a manual I still suck at achieving a smooth shift).

I plan on throwing some bolt on improvements into the engine to hold me over for the next year or two until I can afford to do some serious engine work at which point I will be going with a supercharger, new cam, other new parts that I'm starting to learn about.

And last, this is my first performance vehicle and the first vehicle that I will be modifying in any significant way. I'm pretty new to the world of performance vehicles so I'm just starting to get my toes wet.

Thank you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome to the Mustang world and to the forum, I cant provide any insight into the cost factor, but I am sure there are alot of folks here that will be able to tell you. Good Luck on the stang

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. Now then, is there anything I can do with the transmission to get more out of it? I've read somewhere about adding a tranny cooler and changing the stall. I was wondering if there was anything else or if that is all there is to do with an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Alright. Now then, is there anything I can do with the transmission to get more out of it? I've read somewhere about adding a tranny cooler and changing the stall. I was wondering if there was anything else or if that is all there is to do with an automatic transmission.
Well I have a 2003 gt auto.. And Im dropping it off tomorrow to get a vortec v3 supercharger in it there really is no cheap horsepower I would save up for a supercharger

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can put a higher stall torque converter. If you do decide to do the conversion, you need the tranny, pedals, cables, quadrant, console parts, and the 5 speed crossmember. There may be something I missed, but that's the jest of it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Go for the 5 speed you will unleash you horses! i would pay for a clutch before i would pay to rebuild a auto:D

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Add gears, a shift kit and a higher stall TC:bigthumbsup Invest in a tranny cooler too.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Speed

Welcome Home to AFM!

Keep the auto tranny - or swap the car for a 5 speed.

The swap is a ton of expense and work (mostly work), and involves removing most of the dash and interior, as well as acquiring a lot of parts that go far beyond just the transmission, shifter, etc. Squeaks, rattles, and nagging electronic and engine control system gremlins will follow.

With your admitted problems with a 5 speed, the decision becomes even more simple.

To repeat:

Keep the auto, and do as lots of our members who posted above have suggested, upgrade what you have.

I'm new to the Mustang world and I just inherited a 1999 Mustang GT. It is an automatic and I was wondering if it was worth it to swap it out to a Manual transmission or if there was anything I could do with the Automatic transmission to squeeze some more performance out of it.

A few things to consider concerning my driving habits:
The car is my daily driver and I do not race, I simply like having a car that runs well, sounds nice, and has a lot of horsepower.

I used to have a 99 Nissan Truck and I went through a few too many clutches because of bad driving habits when it comes to Manual Transmissions (I ride the clutch, I pop it too much, After 3 years driving a manual I still suck at achieving a smooth shift).

I plan on throwing some bolt on improvements into the engine to hold me over for the next year or two until I can afford to do some serious engine work at which point I will be going with a supercharger, new cam, other new parts that I'm starting to learn about.

And last, this is my first performance vehicle and the first vehicle that I will be modifying in any significant way. I'm pretty new to the world of performance vehicles so I'm just starting to get my toes wet.

Thank you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i would even say a set of 4.10 gears alone would make you love the automatic. it will honestly jump off the line enough to scare ya the first time out with a set of 4.10gears out back. i wish it was the first thing i did now looking back. i may have save some money along the way(doubt it )

·
Registered
140 Posts
4.10 gears are prime for a atutomatic tranny and 3.73 are great for a 5spd. According to FMS the 4.10 gearing is optimal for the 4r70w in the 99-04 mustang GT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thank you all for the information! I'm looking to get some pictures of the car up soon (and soon for me is within the next month with everything I have on my plate right now) and a list of everything I want to do and even some modified pictures showing the body work and paint job I want to get. I have dreams for this car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.