Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just recently bought me a mustang for my birthday. A 1999 mustang automatic v6 3.8. When I bought the car the guy said the harmonic balancer needed to be replaced that's why it was shaking. So I had spent at least an hour calling auto part stores to find one nobody had one, so I went to a junk yard and bought one. On the way to the mechanic to have him put the harmonic balancer in the exhaust from my passenger side just dropped from the exhaust manifold all the way to the muffler tip. So I told my mechanic that I needed the harmonic balancer put in and to fix the exhaust so he did but the new harmonic balancer did help a little bit, so my question is what else could cause this and what else should I check for? The check engine light isn't on and I did a scan for codes and none come up

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Have you inspected the motor mounts? And the fact the exhaust fell off completely on the passenger side sounds like you found a gem! Hah dont sweat that. These cars are bullet proof but i would look at those mounts to verify they are still well, good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you inspected the motor mounts? And the fact the exhaust fell off completely on the passenger side sounds like you found a gem! Hah dont sweat that. These cars are bullet proof but i would look at those mounts to verify they are still well, good luck.
Not yet I'll be doing that today then if the motor mounts were to be bad is that something relatively easy to replace?

·
Super Moderator
40,073 Posts
Motor mounts are not that bad of a job.I would be concerned with that used balancer.Most of the vendors here can get you a new one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motor mounts are not that bad of a job.I would be concerned with that used balancer.Most of the vendors here can get you a new one.
i know me to ill be replacing it in a couple weeks also what vendor do you recommend getting the harmonic balancer

·
Super Moderator
40,073 Posts
Levitown Ford Super Center has them for a good price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts