Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done lots of reading here and am just getting into the mustang world. I'm looking at buying a 99 cobra as an extra car to play with. My goal is to build something that is fast but completely for the street, will probably never see the track and needs to be reliable enough to drive to work if necessary.

The car I've found is completely stock other than a Flowmaster catback and has only 31,900 original miles on it. Been garaged its whole life and in perfect shape.

After lots of reading, my thought is to pick up the car and order a Kenne Bell IC'ed supercharger kit for it. It is a little pricey but seems like it will get me to 450ish rwhp without going into the motor.

Assuming that is the route I go (if you have other suggestions, please share), what about the following:

Cams - their web page recommends a crower stage 2 cams. I consider this purely for the change in sound of the motor while idleing, etc. Anyone heard a crower stage 2? Doesn't it make it lope at idle or not sound a lot different? It is fairly expensive and will be a lot of work, is it worth it or not?

Drivetrain - I assume the stock, trans, suspension, and rear end while maybe not optimal, can hanlde 450rwhp? I also assume the clutch will not - thoughts on a clutch for this power level?

Exhaust - it has a flowmaster catback, anything else necessary here?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

I found some chrome 17" cobra rims (17X9 front, and 17X10.5 rear) with Nitto 555's on front and Nitto drag radials on back, so I think wheels and tires are covered.

THANKS!!!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Bad idea, I put a kenne bell on my 1996, after spending $7500 for the kit/install/uprgrades and tune (6lbs), it puts out nothing like 450hp (Jim Bell at Kenne Bell way overrates his product and claims it needs no tuning, what a joke!), does it drive better, yes, however, you'll be much better off getting a terminator cobra to begin with...they have more potential, are easier to tune and have the fab 6 spd and IRS...sorry to rain on your parade, but learn from me. Better yet go with twin turbos and a full K Member upgrade, now you're talking...or just find a car with the upgrades already on it...tons of them on Ebay

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Oh, you also need to upgrade the exahaust to full length headers and hi flow cats and suspension will need alot of work to handle the new power, so add another $4000 to your "toy"...once again, get a terminator and spend time driving rather than modifying

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I've been looking for a stock 03 or 04 without too many miles but came across tis great deal on the 99, maybe I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hold up don't throw in the towel, the 99-01 New Edge Cobras are rarer and they get a bad wrap, just get a Vortech V-3 internally lubricated Blower with a V-2 piping Kit, throw on an O/R midpipe with straight shot air induction and your at 450! In Every fricken town there's a guy with a Kenne Bell 03-04)! That Cobra sounds Nice with low miles and garage kept, what's the asking price? I bought mine in a private estate sale for $7000 less than they were asking!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I could get it for $10k. The problem is it is going to take close to $10k into it to get it to 450rwhp. At that point, I could buy a 03 for the same money and have a lot more potential. I just haven't found a good 03.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The 99 and 01 are a great platform for building power, nothing over 450rwhp though with out beefing some internals. If you can get one for 10K and then get the SC and supporting mods and tune, you should be under 10K for that,not much, plus you'll have something that's not a Terminator but could hang with some and beat other cars.
But, there are some good deals on Terminators out there. I've seen some with low miles for $18K and they look great. Just keep looking around for that sweet deal, being a 99,01 or a 03-04.:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Go with the terminator, if you already had the cobra then mods are possibly worthwhile, but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't...you don't just bolt on a blower and crank out 450hp, I think you get my point about investment and payoff

·
Registered
158 Posts
I say go for the 99!! I just got a procharger on mine, 8psi intercooled. kit came with diablo tuner and supporting mods, install and all just around $6500,. other than that i just have headers, o/r x pipe and 3.90 gears and it just dyno'd at 476 rwhp. The procharger is way under rated, i too was looking at kenne bells but have heard about bad customer support and warantees,,, and also the disappointing power output

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
476!! that's STOUT congrats, who did your diablo tune? Yeah ProChargers are Animals!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I say go for the 99!! I just got a procharger on mine, 8psi intercooled. kit came with diablo tuner and supporting mods, install and all just around $6500,. other than that i just have headers, o/r x pipe and 3.90 gears and it just dyno'd at 476 rwhp. The procharger is way under rated, i too was looking at kenne bells but have heard about bad customer support and warantees,,, and also the disappointing power output
It will not last. The motor is not built for it. Cheap rods and pistons and bearings. You are on borrowed time. Take it to a race track and see how long it takes. Its at best a street car that you can step on the pedal here and there.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I plan on going the Hellion route, but limp1969 is right. The 99 Cobra has the teksid block, which is better than a WAP one, and it's fairly bulletproof. The internals are the weakness on our engines. I've been told 400-450 is max for our internals. I plan on forging the internals and turning the boost up to 12-15psi. That will put me in the realm of 600-650rwhp. Wether you build a 99-01, or buy a Terminator, you're still going to have a monster on the street.

·
Registered
158 Posts
illinois dyno did the tune.... as for the engine not taking it, they did a bunch of tests and everything showed it was safe... i guess worst case scenario,, something internally breaks,,, then that gives me a reason to get a stronger bottom end with forged internals and test that...:nogrinner

·
Registered
331 Posts
illinois dyno did the tune.... as for the engine not taking it, they did a bunch of tests and everything showed it was safe... i guess worst case scenario,, something internally breaks,,, then that gives me a reason to get a stronger bottom end with forged internals and test that...:nogrinner
the 03-04 is the better choice. to rebuild a 99,01 is around the $6k. The tremmie is the bang for the buck.

There is no way your car would handle what I did to my 03 at California speedway. 12 psi of boost sitting at 6k rpms all day long. I paid $21k for with 15k miles perfect condition.
What do you have in yours? i bet its more, with more miles and does not look as good and you still have crap in the bottom end.

The only way i would buy a 99 or 01 is if i was happy with what it really is stock. Change the exhaust, Cai and a tune and be done. Other wise just go buy a old fox body and build a 347. You get a motor that can take what ever you give it, one of the lightest mustang ever made, and you can build it for under $12k

All these cobras are heavy. I scaled my 03 at 3642 put fuel and me in it and its almost 4000lbs

·
Registered
190 Posts
terminators are build with proud using the best in the high performance world.the "stock" long block can handle upwards of 1000 hp.;) the crank is made by AMG,the rods are manley with wiseco pistons.all 1996 and up 4.6 block are pretty good,they are what they call a y block,not a v like the 5.0.

·
Registered
190 Posts
plus the heads are 17 cc bigger in the intake runners compared to the ford racing 500,plus the exhaust are match ported to the exhaust gasket and manifold.the cams only the guys that put them in knows.:D some say they flow enough for a modified 427 big block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to offer $7500 for the 99. If I could get it for that, I'll make 400-450rwhp for less than $15k and have a car that is as good as new.

If he wants more, I'll wait for an 03-04.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
the 03-04 is the better choice. to rebuild a 99,01 is around the $6k. The tremmie is the bang for the buck.

There is no way your car would handle what I did to my 03 at California speedway. 12 psi of boost sitting at 6k rpms all day long. I paid $21k for with 15k miles perfect condition.
What do you have in yours? i bet its more, with more miles and does not look as good and you still have crap in the bottom end.

The only way i would buy a 99 or 01 is if i was happy with what it really is stock. Change the exhaust, Cai and a tune and be done. Other wise just go buy a old fox body and build a 347. You get a motor that can take what ever you give it, one of the lightest mustang ever made, and you can build it for under $12k

All these cobras are heavy. I scaled my 03 at 3642 put fuel and me in it and its almost 4000lbs

wow, your kinda a jacka$$.. i have almost the identical amount of $ in mine, just 20k miles, flawless inside and out and runs almost the same hp..... whats so wrong with that..(plus its more unique) thats what this is all about,,, building a car for you,,,, right? sure id take a terminator, but for its money there is nothing wrong with a 99-01. :eek:fftopic I was just giving the guy an honest opinion,,, he is looking at a good deal! and with LESS than a terminator,,, 10,000+6500 for supercharger,,, thats a pretty damn good deal in my opinion...... even though he may not be able to RUN 6K RPM ALL DAY:so

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Davis review what he wants and what it will take to get there, I'm with you that if you already have the car go ahead with mods, like me and my 96, I'm partial to it because I feel it is the best looking of the breed, however, this is a forum, he can now take experienced commentary and decide how he wants to spend his money and decide on the value of it all...personally I think most agree the terminator is much cheaper and better in the long run...the 6 speed and IRS put it over the top even if power is same as modded car

·
Registered
874 Posts
terminators are build with proud using the best in the high performance world.the "stock" long block can handle upwards of 1000 hp.;) the crank is made by AMG,the rods are manley with wiseco pistons.all 1996 and up 4.6 block are pretty good,they are what they call a y block,not a v like the 5.0.
The only problem you run into with the 03-04 Cobra block is that it's cast iron. The Teksid blocks are almost as strong and made of aluminum. The weight is more evenly distributed front to rear with an aluminum block. If all you do is dragrace, that's not a big concern. But for guys like me who love autocross, weight distribution is a big deal. I could go buy a Terminator right now, but I'd be back at square one for everything but horsepower. My Cobra hasa complete Kenny Brown suspension, cage, and alot of other mods. When I drop in the Hellion, I'll have a car that is faster than most cars on the street and handles better than a Porsche. Main point: Teksid block with forged internals is extremely close to the 03-04 block as far as what it will handle, and it's much lighter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.