Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our '99 cobra developed a knock in the top end after the drivier beat on her a little bit doing donuts,(im not the driver) the car is mostly stock and has 90,000 miles on it. the knock is only noticeable around 3000 rpm or when shifting. the car was also hard to start afterwords. we are thinking about swapping 03/04 heads with mild cams. so the question is will this work and will the exhaust manifolds neeed to be changed due to larger exhaust ports? is this swap worth it or should we look into other options? any suggestions are appriciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
why do you wanna spend over $2000 on 03-05 4V heads because you have a mysterious knock you haven't even pinpointed? some 03's, 04 and the 05 Revision heads have 9 thread spark plug holes as opposed to 4 on the 99-01 and many 03's, and the 05's have greatly improved cooling passages.
What is the asking price for the heads and cams? What type of Cams?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we pulled it apart today anda spring broke and the cam is very scarred. i am not the owner and i am not the one with the ideas for this im justasking what my cousin wanted. he wanted to rebuild the motor in the winter and since it broke now he wants to just do it now. he was thinking stock 03/04 heads and comp cams. i dont have the specs on them. im really just asking for a proven combo for this car that will be a good daily driver.

·
Banned
12,379 Posts
Well unless this stupid customer is also very stupid with their money they should just fix the problem on hand...to swap heads would net very little, the cams would net very little...I think you need a different intake to run the later heads too...as they are the "C" heads and as you know have different ports...
I'd just fix the spring and replace the cam or head in it's entirety and move on...oh by the way, he might as well just buy a Terminator engine takeout instead of an expensive rebuild, but I know very well a fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i dont agree with the ideas on this car because the car has been beat on its whole life and needs more than a motor reuild to make it right but he wants to build the motor and has deep pockets apparently so im just trying to find him somthing that will work. just thought some one here could gimme an idea.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
we pulled it apart today anda spring broke and the cam is very scarred. i am not the owner and i am not the one with the ideas for this im justasking what my cousin wanted. he wanted to rebuild the motor in the winter and since it broke now he wants to just do it now. he was thinking stock 03/04 heads and comp cams. i dont have the specs on them. im really just asking for a proven combo for this car that will be a good daily driver.
If he's set on going with the Terminator heads, just buy them brand new assembled with Cams from Tousley Ford! The price of them will be less than a set of Comp Cams with the heads! Or if he wants to spend less replace the scored Cam and button up the valvetrain, and how the "F" did a spring break? Have him take pictures of the carnage..

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he was doing donuts in a parkinglot for a steady minute or so, it was ennough to ruin pretty new tires. im suprised thats all he did to the motor the way he beats on it. ill ask for some pics, he said he doesnt want to go back to stock so idk haha. hes a loyal customer to the bodyshop so were doing him a favor...

·
Banned
12,379 Posts
I would then just swap a whole terminator engine in or rebuild the car to the hilt with forged parts...I gotta say "you can't fix stupid" however

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.