Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am experiencing a misfire occasionally while accelerating and im guessing that it is a bad coil or two. To replace these coils do you have to remove the TB and the Fuel rail first? It seems like a lot of work for a small job. And also should i buy a full stock replacement set or a performance coil set like MSD or something? any help would be great.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i am experiencing a misfire occasionally while accelerating and im guessing that it is a bad coil or two. To replace these coils do you have to remove the TB and the Fuel rail first? It seems like a lot of work for a small job. And also should i buy a full stock replacement set or a performance coil set like MSD or something? any help would be great.
You shouldn't have to remove anything to get the coils out other than the intake hoses to the TB.

Be careful when tightening the mounting screw as it tends to strip out.

As for after market COP their are entire threads on the net dedicated to it.
Some people like them and others don't.

Before you replace the entire set why not document what cylinder(s) is having the problem and then move the COP to another cylinder and see if the problem moves?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay thanks. see the problem is that the car isn't throwing a code yet to say which cylinder is misfiring...any tips?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do u have access to a scan tool that will read mode 6 data? If so it may show which cylinder or cylinders are starting to missfire

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have software on my laptop that reads problem codes, etc. but the car isn't throwing a code so i can't tell which cylinder is misfiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.