Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what happened was one of my plugs stripped out of the head when i was driving the other day. What would be the best way to go?? I'm confused on whether or not a heli-coil would hold up or if i would be better off buying new heads?? I talked w/ the local ford dealer and they said there would be no guarentee on putting the heli-coil in so if that doesnt work im pretty much screwed and still have to pay them the labor, which is leaning me to getting new heads. Also how much power would i get from new heads and how much work is that gonna be??

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Power

So what happened was one of my plugs stripped out of the head when i was driving the other day. What would be the best way to go?? I'm confused on whether or not a heli-coil would hold up or if i would be better off buying new heads?? I talked w/ the local ford dealer and they said there would be no guarentee on putting the heli-coil in so if that doesnt work im pretty much screwed and still have to pay them the labor, which is leaning me to getting new heads. Also how much power would i get from new heads and how much work is that gonna be??
Done properly, the helicoil is strong enough to do the job. New OE heads would not net you any additional power.

I am an "upgrade instead of repair" sort of guy, so my advice would be to look at aftermarket ported heads for your car. Figure about $1300 - $1800 for the new heads (Patriot, Livernois, or Fox Lake would be my recommendation), plus a core charge which would be returned when you sent in your old heads.

Labor would vary, but could be as much as $1000 or more. I would do some shopping around in your area for labor costs.

Expect about 20 hp at the rear wheels if you go with the typical port job, and more if you also upgrade to a stronger pair of camshafts (Comp Cams 270AH are popular).

Cams and new springs and retainers would add about $1000 to the job.

R

·
0 Posts

a heli-coil is NOT the prefered method of fixxing the threads in the SOHC head wth the head(s) on the car, you'll need a device called a "time sert" and most dealers can-do this, insist on time sert NOT a heli-coil:nono:.....++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair , stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repai

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.