Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So I have a 1999 Mustang GT 4.6L and I recently replaced the axle bearings. After getting everything reassembled and driving for about 3 weeks, the outside pad on the driver side was eaten down to the metal and had started to make very small grooves in the rotor(it has been less than 6 months and 10,000 miles since I last changed the rear pads so all of the other pads looked nearly brand new). When I began to notice this, the ABS light on the instrument cluster came on as well. I originally thought that the rattle clips on the pads were broken and let the one pad turn some inside the holder since it was the only one that was bad and just replaced clips yesterday. This morning I drove it for about 5 miles to test it out and when I stopped to look at it, I could smell the pads and there was a little smoke. I know that they are not locking up completely but they may still have some pressure on them when there shouldn't be. I was thinking of trying to adjust the emergency brake or getting a new caliper next. Oh and the calipers screwed in fine yesterday. Does anyone have any suggestions or know if the ABS sensors will make the caliper hold pressure when the brakes are not pressed?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you checked to see if the caliper slides are froze up, they are notorious for this on the 94-04 rear calipers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I tried cleaning them and that didn't work either, so I put new rear calipers and brackets on and I'm still having the same problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts