Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating between 3.73s and 4.10s... but I want to keep fuel economy AND still kick ass at the track :laughlitt... I mean are 4.10s terrible in high end RPMs?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
no, the increase would be maybe 600 rpms with the 4.10s in top gear.
say you do 2200 rpms at 70mph
4.10/3.23*2200 = 2800, this is more than acceptable to most people.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My car turns 3000 rpm at 70 mph with the 4.10's Before with the 3.27's it turned 2000 rpm at 70 mph. I still gets over 20 mpg on the highway

·
Registered
454 Posts
With your car being an Automatic, I would recommend going with the 4:10. You will be more than happy with the performance..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome guys... what do you recommend goes along with the gear install..? I'm planning on changing all my fluids to full synthetic...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would recommend ford racing brand gears. That's what I have, when I replaced my gears I used royal purple gear oil upgraded to a locking differential and replaced the bearings in my rear end as well. If you already have a locking diff, its a good idea to replace the clutches in it while its apart, the difference will be night and day better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
if you are going to do gears, now is the perfect time to rebuild the diff. Replace all the bearings and such while it apart so you dont have to do it for a long time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
why doesnt anyone EVER mention 3:90?? Its a good middle ground between 373 and 410?????????????

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with the ford racing gears. Cheapest I found the gears new was buyfordracing.com. Pick up a master bearing kit from somewhere like american muscle and bottle of friction modifier. I used royal purple for the rear end and have no whine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.