Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking to see what you guys think... What do you guys think about an Intake Manifold Upgrade on a 1999 Mustang GT... I saw a Typhoon intake manifold with a plenum and throttlebody for 795.00 on ebay... Is this worth it? Claims 35 horsepower to the wheels? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
For 795 bucks? That's a rip off. You can get all that cheaper at RPM Outlet but the company is flaky. I would save for something else like gears and a tuner and CAI or exhaust.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually got gears, CAI, Mid-Pipe, Catback exhaust... Another thing I am not sure of though is whether or not the guy i bought the car from had a throttle body done... Well, actually i bought the car from a friend who bought the car from some guy... My friend is unsure of what gears are in the car but is guessing he has gears, and said he thinks he had a throttlebody done... I don't care for the gears cuz I want to change them anyway but what about the throttlebody? How would I know? If it "really wasn't done" I would feel the need to do that now... and what about the Plenum? Worth doing? What step should i take next... I really want to build a pretty quick car... This is my first american car... My last car which I kinda retired from racing was a Porsche and didn't have many parts to buy... Entering the Mustang world, I am close to confused with how much stuff there is!!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I actually got gears, CAI, Mid-Pipe, Catback exhaust... Another thing I am not sure of though is whether or not the guy i bought the car from had a throttle body done... Well, actually i bought the car from a friend who bought the car from some guy... My friend is unsure of what gears are in the car but is guessing he has gears, and said he thinks he had a throttlebody done... I don't care for the gears cuz I want to change them anyway but what about the throttlebody? How would I know? If it "really wasn't done" I would feel the need to do that now... and what about the Plenum? Worth doing? What step should i take next... I really want to build a pretty quick car... This is my first american car... My last car which I kinda retired from racing was a Porsche and didn't have many parts to buy... Entering the Mustang world, I am close to confused with how much stuff there is!!
If you want a quick car go FI, if not possible due to limited funds then I would get steeda pulleys, LT's, Tuner. The manifold/TB/Plenum would work well together, next I would do heads and cams to accommodate your intake manifold.

G

·
I am asking to see what you guys think... What do you guys think about an Intake Manifold Upgrade on a 1999 Mustang GT... I saw a Typhoon intake manifold with a plenum and throttlebody for 795.00 on ebay... Is this worth it? Claims 35 horsepower to the wheels? What do you guys think?

a few things to keep in mind:

most advertised HP #'s are bogus and are put-out there to sell a part or parts, so you really have to ask, what other mods were done to achieve the 35 rwhp and what were the conditions:headscratch:
also if the advertised HP/TQ #'s are done on a dyno, dont get all excited about the #'s, as NO-ONE I know races on a dyno....:nono:

and last, that intake adds @30lbs to the nose of the car, might not seem like much but most racers try and remove nose weight, esp lower HP cars;)

so unless your goal is 350+ hp, save your money for other mods like Subframe Connectors, Which Should Be The Very First Mod On Most Mustangs:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.