Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 Mustang GT keeps squealing! I dont know why, the serpentine belt broke recently, after i put the new belt on, the squealing started. I already replaced both the idler pulley and tensioner pulley. Same problem, the squealing wont go away. Then it even broke the new belt, luckily i have a 1 year warranty on the belt with Autozone, so now im on my 2nd belt, and the squealing is still there, low and high RPM's...I tried washing the belt with dish soap to rid any possible anti-freeze or anything that could have possibly gotten on it, I thought it might be a belt at 1st but now im on my 2nd belt and i still have the same problem. I have replaced the serpentine belt, the idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley..what else could it be?

Any help!!! Please???

Thank You.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Did you replace the tensioner pulley or the tensioner assembley?

Look at your belt is it on track like it should? I warped a tensioner once on my 98 and had the same problem as you. Take the belt off and start it for a couple seconds and see if the squeal is still there.

Let us know after looking at this and trying it!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
what about the power steering pump? or alternator pulley? or A/C pulley, it's gotta be one of those or the pullies/idler again

·
Registered
613 Posts
stop using junk belts from autozone. nothing but garbage IMO. get your self a gator back from good year. Those belts can be coated with oil and still work great with no noise. also with the idler pulley please tell me you didnt get it from auto zone? they usually dont come with the inner bushing and bolt, so your forced to use the old stuff, which doesnt work out to good, so the bearing rubs against the metal. pay the few extra bucks and get it from ford. the bearing comes with spacers and bolt already set inside you just torque to spec.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Where I am from autozone sells the gatorback belts so you may be refering to the gatorback being junk if he has that.....ask me how I know autozone sells gatorback belts :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fordman777:
No i didnt replace the tensior assembly..just the pulley, and yes it does seem to be on track, everything looks lined up perfect..Alsoi forgot to say that the power steering pulley seems to be able to move back and forth slightly..idk if thats normal? or if its bad..maybe it could be my problem..

subpath:
and yes i did get it from Autozone, all it came with was the pulley, i had to use the old bolt to put it back on there, and the old one didnt have an inner bushing or anything..maybe thats what screwed it up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2Manystangs:
yeah i forgot to mention that the power steering pump pulley can move back and fourth (towards the radiator, and the engine) slightly..not alot..but it still slightly moves..is that normal? or could that be my problem?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I would have just bought the whole tensioner assembly cause they redesigned them the factory ones are notorious for warping or breaking at high rpm's and trust me on this I know cause both has happened to me I am on my third one and if this one breaks then I will be seeking a better design on them if it is available.

Check that power steering pulley out it should not be like that there is something wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing guys..everytime my belt has snapped, my alternator has jumped off the engine, it has no upper brace at the moment, i bought the car this way and never realized there was no brace on top of the alternator..now im pretty sure thats what snapped my belts, maybe too much torque when i was driving it and it flexed the alternator, which in turn broke my belt..could that be what causes my loud squealing noise? maybe when the engine is at an idle, its flexing the alternator, causeing the belt to hav less tension, and makeing a loud noise?

Just throwing that out there..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i figured there was something wrong with it, i had a v6 before the GT and i remember the pulleys all being nice and tight..i think the power steering pulleys are like $50 so it shouldnt be too bad..read my post about my alternator though, what do you think?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Where I am from autozone sells the gatorback belts so you may be refering to the gatorback being junk if he has that.....ask me how I know autozone sells gatorback belts :bigthumbsup
Here in York pa Auto Zones they sell Dayco only, and the best belt they have is junk. I asked if they could get Gator backs, they said no they have a deal with Dayco and will only sell those belts. Same with advanced auto and pep boys Dayco junk. IMO nothing can beat a Gator Back.

·
Registered
613 Posts
fordman777:
No i didnt replace the tensior assembly..just the pulley, and yes it does seem to be on track, everything looks lined up perfect..Alsoi forgot to say that the power steering pulley seems to be able to move back and forth slightly..idk if thats normal? or if its bad..maybe it could be my problem..

subpath:
and yes i did get it from Autozone, all it came with was the pulley, i had to use the old bolt to put it back on there, and the old one didnt have an inner bushing or anything..maybe thats what screwed it up?
Bet 10-1 the pulley is the issue. I know this from personal experience, Wifes car had Dayco belts on it and started to have a minor oil leak "Which I found out later was a pin hole in the oil filter" and the oil went right onto the belt. Screamed like metal to metal, so new belt..Dayco of course, same thing within 3 days. So Auto zone sales rep said Idler pulley looks to be shot. Bought Just the pulley, pulled old out used the bushings and bolt from OEM part and , the pulley went metal to metal. took back to auto zone they said thats how they come. Called ford, and they wanted $25 for a new one, that came with the bushings and bolt installed all i had to do was tighten down. Stopped the noise for awhile, but it came back on and off. Drove an hr and half to get a Gator Back belt from millersville PA. Put it on, and has been a year and still quiet. Belts can scream just like metal to metal. If you shoot some WD40 on the belt and it stops making noise, get a better belt which is a gator back imo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Subpath:
actually the belt does stop if i squirt WD40 on it..but only for a split second, or when it has dish soap on it..funny thing is that i never had a squeal before with the old belt..it started maybe a few hours after having the new one on..thats when i notcied the bad idler and tensioner pulleys, so i replaced them thinking they were the problem, the squeal was gone for maybe 10 miles and came rite back, idk if you read what i said about my alternator bracket problem, maybe the belts loosing tension from the alternator not being braced properly? And i think my belt is a Duralast, its the cheap one that autozone sells, so i guess i got what i paid for lol

It makes sense if its the belt, because a pulley would still make noise even if i put soapy water on it rite? i took a rag and soaked it in dish soap water and put the rag on the belt while the car was idling and soaked the belt, the squealing stopped until the soap water dried up, meaning i could just have a POS belt? As for WD40, it only stops squealing if it gets on the belt, all of the pulleys seem to be in good shape, especially the new ones. Im thinking ill replace the belt and see if that cures my problem.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Subpath:
actually the belt does stop if i squirt WD40 on it..but only for a split second, or when it has dish soap on it..funny thing is that i never had a squeal before with the old belt..it started maybe a few hours after having the new one on..thats when i notcied the bad idler and tensioner pulleys, so i replaced them thinking they were the problem, the squeal was gone for maybe 10 miles and came rite back, idk if you read what i said about my alternator bracket problem, maybe the belts loosing tension from the alternator not being braced properly? And i think my belt is a Duralast, its the cheap one that autozone sells, so i guess i got what i paid for lol

It makes sense if its the belt, because a pulley would still make noise even if i put soapy water on it rite? i took a rag and soaked it in dish soap water and put the rag on the belt while the car was idling and soaked the belt, the squealing stopped until the soap water dried up, meaning i could just have a POS belt? As for WD40, it only stops squealing if it gets on the belt, all of the pulleys seem to be in good shape, especially the new ones. Im thinking ill replace the belt and see if that cures my problem.
Belts can make some serious noise. Your alt bracket needs to be replaced without a doubt. Hit a local junk yard and get one. However your tension-er pulley keeps alot of slack out of the belt. Most def your belt. Any time you spray any fluid on the belt and the car runs quiet, the belts crap. And if im not mistaken..correct me if im wrong guys, but i do believe you are allowed 1/8 inch of play in any given pulley back and forth. The length your allowed maybe wrong but you do have some play.
Gatorback® Poly-V Serpentine Belts With Quiet Channel Technology | Goodyear® Engineered Products
Look for any place local to you for one. Consider the fact of what you spent in time and money vs buying a good belt thats known to excel in bad conditions.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oh on my post its supposed to be 10-1 its the belt. But since you got the pulley and had to use the old hardware, take it back and get the OEM 1 thats fully assembled. Had a Birthday party lastnight, and was given a 5th of Honey Jack to try out. so my train of thought went out the door...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts