Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY buddy has a 1999 gt procharged 301. We started having problems right when we got it because it tore about 4 belts and after becoming pretty profiecient at replacing them we found the problem. The pulley on the tensioner seemed a bit too far towards the front of the car and the belt was riding too clost to the timing cover. We purchased a new aftermarket tensioner and the spring was a bit tighter than the old one and the belt was tighter too which was good. BUT, the belt still rides on the sharp edge of the new one and were not sure how to fix this. When the engine is running and we pry a screwdriver in the tensioner and push the tensioner pulley towards the timing cover the belt rides perfect. Its only about 1/8th of an inch that it needs to be pushed back. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
262 Posts
wrong section bro, this is 2005-2009 section LOL..

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am going to make the assumption that the tensioner on the '99 is the same as my '02. The bearings in the idler wheel on my tensioner were shot and I was able to replace them. Unbolted the wheel from the tensioner arm, pressed the old ones out and installed new from the local bearing house. What I discovered was that there is no shoulder in the wheel to press the bearings against. The two bearings just get pressed in back to back and can "float" some in the wheel. In your case you may be able to press the bearings in or out of the wheel as desired to get the wheel to sit where you want it. Do this carefully, you would not want to press the bearings to the point where one is starting to lose 100% engagement in the wheel bore or have a rubbing problem on the timing cover or the tensioner arm. Also, as this is a problem with two different tensioners on this car I would look very carefully at the rest of the pulley system to be sure nothing else is amiss. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.