Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my transmission went on my 99 GT. It is an automatic, and just rolled over 100,000 miles. I was told by my mechanic it would be around $2,000 to replace it with another automatic. I have heard it is possible to convert them to a 5 speed (which is what I wanted, but had a broken arm at the time of the purchase) and wondering what the price difference is. I would either like to A) Replace it with a 5 or 6 speed B) Replace it with an aftermarket automatic setup or C) Get out what I owe on it by selling it how it is. Let me know, any advise is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
99 gt with a busted tran with 100k miles around my area is worth around 3-4k. So is it worth it to YOU. If the tran went at 100k, im willing to bet it gonna turn into a money pit fairly quickly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It all depends if you do the work yourself, or pay to have it done. If you Buy all new good parts, or do a stock 5 speed from another mustang. Personally if I was doing the swap I wouldn't do it with used or old parts, I would do it right the first time so you don't have to worry about it. For a stock rebuilt tr3650 you're looking around $3,000 for the swap parts if you buy new and install it yourself and probably an extra 1500-2000$ for a shop to do it. And the 6 speed rout is even more expensive, about a year ago I had a local shop quote me $6,500 for a automatic to manual swap using a t56 magnum, the only thing I needed to supply was the pedal assembly about ($150)
If you don't want to spend that much on the car I would just have the auto rebuilt so you can sell the car for more money.
Hope all that made sense lol good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had an offer on my car as is, for a straight up trade. Looking into it for now, maybe buy a mach next summer. Thanks for the input though, appreciate it.

·
Banned
465 Posts
you could eeasily get a used auto from a yard and throw it in..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having second thoughts on trading off the car. The offer was for a 95 LT1 Trans am swapped with a built LT4 engine from a corvette with a six speed. All it needs is a paint job.. But I think I would regret it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah man I think you should just fix yours. She's your baby! I vote fix it!
That's what I would do to mine because it's my first mustang and I like the mustang community! And plus I think the old trans am and camaro are uncomfortable interior wise.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Like stated above I would look into junk yards and get one their. That would be the cheapest. I blew my tranny in my 87 GT in like 1996 and I got a tranny with 30k on it for $800 out of a wrecked 90 GT from a junkyard. Bottomline the car still runs today.
Switching from a auto to a 5-speed is going to cost you more, there are a few things involved with the swap. Good luck:)

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
look on Ebay, lots of "swaps" available for people like you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have decided to keep the car, and am looking at just getting another auto tranny. I would like to have it a little more hopped up that a stock tranny, so was thinking a shift kit or tuner. Also have heard of stall chips, but not in a mustang. Let me know if you guys have any ideas on what would be the best for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts