Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 mustang gt(automatic) with a cold air intake. My buddy just got a 98 Trans Am and we raced. I stayed with him of the line but he started to pull fast when i hit 3rd gear. Whats it gonna take for my stang to run with that ls1? I'm used to having the fastest car in the group and want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i would do underdrive pulleys, upper intake plenum and spacer, upgraded throttle body, aftermarket intake manifold, cam, heads, gears, headers, exhaust, and a good tune, then you will blow his f*ckin doors off and also have a pretty solid mustang without forced induction, but it will probably run you 3-4k not installed, but if you want to keep the cost down just do gears, tune, full intake, and pulleys, and you should get him or be right there

·
Registered
100 Posts
get 373's they turned my slow 2v into a quick 2v

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 99 mustang gt(automatic) with a cold air intake. My buddy just got a 98 Trans Am and we raced. I stayed with him of the line but he started to pull fast when i hit 3rd gear. Whats it gonna take for my stang to run with that ls1? I'm used to having the fastest car in the group and want to keep it that way.
Well your biggest gain would be a stall converter upgrade 3200-3500 -ls1's are potent on the top end I have both a 98gt and a 00 Ls1 Trans Am.-Off the show room floor they were low 13 sec car with a auto- high 12's with 6speed -If your buddy upgrades his cam it will instantly drop the car to a 12.0 or a 11.7 1/4 range with a 3:73 gear-trans ams are Heavy cars 3650 lbs so out of the hole they kinda suck stock because the torque management programming to save the weak crummy 10bolt they used in those cars.Anyways for 1'000$ your buddys t/a would be a 11sec car:happyhapp to get them out of the 11's takes quite a bit more -or nitrous or serious weight reduction. Hope this helps ya -but I think you just gotta hand the group crown over to him for a while.98 had weak rod bolts so maybe he will blow it up;) I never liked gm's until me and my buddy took a ls1 trans am for a joy ride at a dealer,I bought the thing the next week:headscratch: --with a cam headers and tq converter upgrade it runs 11.3 @ 121mph--my stang thow sounds MUCH nicer thow and is more fun to drive around town

·
Registered
318 Posts
Guys at the track i go to must really suck at driving cuz i havent seen anyone run 11's with the ta's with only $1k. Would definitely do gears and a tune and possibly some drag radials so you can take him off the line and build a little lead.

Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
myself i would trade it for an 03-04 cobra and race him with that and hope he is stock or buy an ls car it takes a lot of work to keep up with a stock ls1 if you have a 99 cobra never mind a gt ls1 are becoming a thing of the past now you have to fear ls2 ls3 and ls7

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys at the track i go to must really suck at driving cuz i havent seen anyone run 11's with the ta's with only $1k. Would definitely do gears and a tune and possibly some drag radials so you can take him off the line and build a little lead.

Dan
Well I guess it all depends on what they stuck 1k into. there is soooo much bs marketing for ls1,s -here is a 100% streetable 87 octane 11sec combo for a ls1, #1 long tube hookers 400$ futral f-1 cam 300$ hp tuners dyno tune 300--this combo with a 6 speed should do 430ish rwhp 404ish in tq. my t/a has a small 585 lift cam my best e.t. on dr's is 11.37 with a 1.68 60ft,thats from a dead idle then mash it launch :so I really dont even like my t/a but the thing friggen boogies as much as I dont want to admitt it:headscratch:, now I put a wet kit on it, a friggen 50 shot just put me at 10.8 @ 126 and I can go safe up to 125 shot on a stock piston:gringreen The bad part is I beat at least 4 03 cobras with pulley mods ect. 1 shelby 2 vipers. but a few of my buddys with blown fox body's will hand me my azz there is 4 9 sec fox body's in my group :happyhapp So I'm still the slow one:scared
I guess each cars has its benefits and set backs--to me a cool car is a cool car--a fast car is a fast car I will always favor the blue oval but I will say the Ls1-ls2 are nasty lil motors the ls7 omg that thing rocks but too much money for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. Now I'll rephrase the question. I now have the following mods; cai, 70mm tb/plenum, underdrive pulleys, o/r x-pipe, flowmaster cat back, longtube headers and drag radials. Also his trans am is still completely stock, and might add his best time at the track was 13.7. Haven't had a chance to race him again. Think it would be close?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.