Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 99 V6, and I was planning on doing some minor mods to it. I was just wondering what the difference in mileage is like, from people who have performed similar modifications.

The mods I'm thinking about making are as follows:
K&N brand CAI
GT takeoff duallie exhaust
Underdrive pullies (all)
3.73 rear gears with T-lock differential
Tune

Anyways, any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Cai and exhaust no change.
Pullies maybe .5 mile gain
Gears, possible gain in the city, slight loss on the highway.
Tune?

All those are negligible. Your driving and maintenance will affect it much more than all those combined. You're not gonna loose much unless you are adding a lot of HP like boost or HCI

R

·
0 Posts
ull add some from tha CAI and exhaust around 1-4
No. You won't.

My '01 with: True dual exhaust w/custom catted FlowTech X-pipe and Cherry Bomb Extremes dumped at the axle, AM CAI, VAP Auto intake spacer, 180* T-stat, Hurst base w/Steeda Tri-Ax handled shifter, Bamachips 91 Race tune, 245/45ZR17 BFG T/A KDWs, T-Lok, 3.73 gears
Got 18 city, 29hwy on average. I saw as low as 12 city, and as high as 33hwy.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The stuff can only help if you don't drive like me, I lose mpg's every mod, damn foot.....
My best combined mpg for DD was back when I only had chip on the old 87 Eco tune (which means nothing about eco) of 23.5, I now regularly get 20-20.5, you see what all I have in sig.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
And "tune" is very broad, there's performance tunes and there's gas saving tunes, depends on your mods and preference as to gains. When you factor in the different driving styles of everyone, mpg can vary greatly. I can put my foot to the floor and watch my gas gauge move (avg 15ish) or I can hit the cruise and go forever (avg. 20) I have no idea why it varies so much, but I tested it myself.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
And "tune" is very broad, there's performance tunes and there's gas saving tunes, depends on your mods and preference as to gains. When you factor in the different driving styles of everyone, mpg can vary greatly. I can put my foot to the floor and watch my gas gauge move (avg 15ish) or I can hit the cruise and go forever (avg. 20) I have no idea why it varies so much, but I tested it myself.:bigthumbsup
im sure redlyr is gonna chime in with his usual link to the article but its been proven that the economy tunes are no different than the performance tunes... but reason it varies is that if youre flooring it and accelerating, the engine is dumping gas into the cylinders, more than needed to just stay at speed.. in cruise, its using pretty much just enough to keep going at that speed

R

·
0 Posts
im sure redlyr is gonna chime in with his usual link to the article but its been proven that the economy tunes are no different than the performance tunes... but reason it varies is that if youre flooring it and accelerating, the engine is dumping gas into the cylinders, more than needed to just stay at speed.. in cruise, its using pretty much just enough to keep going at that speed
Who... me????
Douglas Studdard of Bamachips Debunks the Economy Tune Ploy - Planet Green

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Damn Eco tunes are crap, I love my race tune, I get better mileage on it anyways because it doesn't take forever to get up to speed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific in regards to which tune I am gonna go for. Well, I'm going with the performance tune. I might try living with a 93 octane tune for a while. See what that's like. Here's hoping that I'll feel the difference in performance. Should be more invigorating to drive anyways. :)

Btw, any speculations as to the hp/torque increase I would see after all is said and done?

Again, with these mods:
K&N brand CAI
Underdrive pullies (all)
(Performance 93 octane) Tune

Thanks

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific in regards to which tune I am gonna go for. Well, I'm going with the performance tune. I might try living with a 93 octane tune for a while. See what that's like. Here's hoping that I'll feel the difference in performance. Should be more invigorating to drive anyways. :)

Btw, any speculations as to the hp/torque increase I would see after all is said and done?

Again, with these mods:
K&N brand CAI
Underdrive pullies (all)
(Performance 93 octane) Tune

Thanks
Now a days if you get a tune from AM it automatically comes with a race tune, a performance tune, and a street tune, race is only 91&93 gas, but performance and street are available in all octanes, FYI be cautious when you first get your tune, make sure that when you run the higher octane tunes there is no detonation before you pound on it, otherwise it could be a problem, when I had my car on the dyno for tuning it read in the 11-11.5 range A/F ratio, decently rich, some people get lucky and some not so lucky, just be cautious at first

As to the power numbers, about 15-20hp at motor

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i had to flash back to stock the other day so i can go get my emissions tested (they have to plug it into the computer and it interferes for some reason) i can tell the shift firmness is decreased but other than that, i dont feel a power difference :-/

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
i had to flash back to stock the other day so i can go get my emissions tested (they have to plug it into the computer and it interferes for some reason) i can tell the shift firmness is decreased but other than that, i dont feel a power difference :-/
What are you running? 87 street? If so you probably won't, the perf/race is the only difference I could feel, mainly on the race, the perf tune was ok though

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
nope.. 93 race or performance.. i dont remember

R

·
0 Posts
You don't quite get that bang you do with 05+ cars.

I could kind of feel a little bite with my 91 race tune in my '01. I felt the 3.73s even more so.

I like my 5.0L. My "race tune" is bumping up the timing manual 3-4*. :gringreen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts