Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the last 7 hours working on my pony to try and replace my rusted exhaust manifold, I finally got it done! (Phew!)

Now... the biggest trouble I had was trying to remove the EGR bolt that was on my original header. I ended up having to take a torch to it to loosen it up and by the time I got it off, the bolt was stripped and split in half. Currently I have a cap on my new exhaust manifold and the EGR pipe that was connecting to the driver side header is just hanging open with the broken bolt by the flange. Is this bad? How could I go about patching up this part of the EGR, or doing something to it to complete it? (Either remove or make-shift fix?)

Help is much appreciated!
Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
vmptuning.com sells an EGR Delete

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
vmptuning.com sells an EGR Delete
dont buy a "egr delete kit" its just a small plate with 2 bolts in it and is way overpriced for what it is.. also you would end up with a code because the sensor and stuff will have been removed which you need to pass emissions inspection.. it may be possible for you to have a tuner delete the EGR check.. however i dont know if that sort of thing will be detectable by the inspectors and their computer.. they might be able to see the difference in your emissions.. though i kind of doubt that it makes that much difference..

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Mark's correct: since you already blocked off the header, you just need a plate to block off the upper intake. I've attached more detailed instructions from SSM (supersixmotorsports.com).

Also, you will need a tuner/chip to clear the codes. Don't know how strict emissions are in Jersey, but here in PA you can't have any codes showing. Some places (like Cali) will check to see if you've cleared codes (instead of fixing them)... they can and they will fail you. =/

Attachments

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
IMO just clearing it would be a bad idea.. best bet would be to have a tuner remove it completely.. that way they might just miss the fact its not there and functioning

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this EGR delete sounds alot more complicated and risky than just doing some kind of fix for the issue... i wonder if there is a way to get some kind of high temperature rubber hose and use it to push the opening on the manifold and the end of the EGR tube together without any bolts, etc. maybe use clamps to secure the hose?

anyone know what kind of temps the hose will have to tolerate?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
that will work.. it gets pretty hot.. so try to get the toughest tubing you can

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey java, so what did you end up doing?
because i just had the same problem on my passanger side exhaust manifold my egr tube broke of. and my mechanic is telling my he can weld them back together, or he can block em of but then i will have to get a tune???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey java, so what did you end up doing?
because i just had the same problem on my passanger side exhaust manifold my egr tube broke of. and my mechanic is telling my he can weld them back together, or he can block em of but then i will have to get a tune???
hey man i just walked inside from virtually messing with my EGR... I ended up getting some copper tubing and flaring the ends of the tube and getting a coupler and connect the copper tube to the stock EGR tube... that tube is one motherf**ker to mess with!

cross my fingers that everything holds up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts