Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this about 2 weeks ago but now i have another problum.
im getting a error code that says bad cam shaft postioning sensor. my car makes this terrible noise around 4000 rpm that almost sounds like when kids put cards on there bikes where it hits the spokes as the wheel turns but much much more loud. i replaced the cam sensor, but its still making the noise, i dont know to much about the timing on mustangs. if any can help i would appreciate it.

thank you

OLD POST
(hi, i own a 1999 v6 mustang 5 speed (138,000k). my car has this very bad shake at idle, the whole engine shakes so badly that its braking the exauhst, i have already welded about 5 fatige cracks so far. now even though the engine shakes at idle, my rpm is steady, it stays right around 800 rpm.

also at high rpm 4500 or so, it has a bad vibration (its a high frequency virbration). )

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am not sure but I wonder about your crankshaft damper pulley. Look and see if you can see it wobbling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE TO MY CAR.
my error code for the cam shaft sensor went off today, so now i have no error codes but still all the symptoms.

Could it have to do with the flywheel or clutch, its a manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, but i have replaced the throw out bearing, but i didnt even look at the clutch because i didnt have to take it off, i just removed the trans from the bell housing to get to the bearing. why? do you think it could be the clutch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i want to thank every one for your help, I Figured out what was causing the noise!!!!
it was the cam shaft posining sensor shaft and gear assembly, it uses brass bushings and the bushing on the top of the assembly does not get oiled, so basicly after 130k miles of running dry metal on metal caused it to wear away and at higher rpms the shaft would start chattering within the bushing. i havent replaced it yet but i put a couple of drops of oil on it and the noise went away. but it still idles rought and still vibrates at higer rpms. so i would love to still get some help on that issue

·
Registered
52 Posts
If that bushing is worn away that shaft is still chattering away in there - it's not being held in place correctly. Replace that bushing, don't just oil it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey guys, i finaly gave up and took it in for diagnostics, it ended up that the harmonic balancer was bad, i orderd it and ill put it on in next couple days, ill keep ya posted wether it works or not.
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.