Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I what to double check if I got it right. There's only one knock sensor in a 99 V6 right? Could someone post a picture where's it's located? Is it the sensor located in front of the intake manifold? My Chilton repair manual doesn't show where it is. It only shows the V8.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
all i can find on mitchell is for the 32v 4.6. there is a left and a right knock sensor on those near the #1 and #5 injectors. it doesnt say anything about the v6 or the single cam v8 even having one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if there's there's no knock sensor, the timing is constant? Is it true that Ford dealers can reprogram the computer to adjust the timing? I want to retard mine a few degrees.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
So if there's there's no knock sensor, the timing is constant? Is it true that Ford dealers can reprogram the computer to adjust the timing? I want to retard mine a few degrees.
Timing is adjusted by the computer. Are you having problems with detonation? It can be adjusted with a hand held tuner as well......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shinerstang,

Yes, i hear pinging when i use regular gas. I've tried everthing, change the plugs, seafoam the injectors, changed the valve cover. I bought a SCT xcalibrator tuner recently but I don't know anybody who can make a tune for my 99 v6. Do you know someone who can make a tune where I can adjust the timing?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Shinerstang,

Yes, i hear pinging when i use regular gas. I've tried everthing, change the plugs, seafoam the injectors, changed the valve cover. I bought a SCT xcalibrator tuner recently but I don't know anybody who can make a tune for my 99 v6. Do you know someone who can make a tune where I can adjust the timing?
you should be able to adjust the timing yourself with the tuner, do you see an option labeled "spark advance"?

also, have you tried buying your gas from a different place?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Shinerstang,

If you bought a tuner, it should have the tune already on there. If you have installed the performance tune already, you need to run 93 octane in your car. Detonation is really bad for your motor. Get it straightened out ASAP.

Most handheld tuner dealers will not fully unlock the tuner parameters because they don't want people messing with it and ruining their cars. You can easily blow up your motor if you don't know what you are doing. If you do not know how to use the tuner, then we can help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.