Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a V6 mustang from 1999.

Everytime i turn on my car, before it warms up, it has a ticking noise from the engine. My dad told me the problem would be likely solved by using some kind of oil additive for a valve tap.

my question is: what is the best kind of oil additive for a valve tap on a 1999 V6 mustang?

thanks!
tom

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am using a Lucus oil additive, found it at Advance Auto and once in a while Walmart. Instructions on the bottle and for mine it helps the tick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the suggestions! my car is going in for an oil change soon and im going to seafoam it. then im going to put some lucas oil additive in after the change.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just becareful with seafoam. One guy on here overdid it and hydro locked the engine. Use the search feature to read a couple of the posts hows others did it

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Just becareful with seafoam. One guy on here overdid it and hydro locked the engine. Use the search feature to read a couple of the posts hows others did it
yes we should all learn from that one.. dont let your siblings touch your car.. haha .. no but seriously read up on that first make sure u know what ur doing

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it sounds like its coming from the engine, but ill mention that to the mechanic and see if he finds anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im silly, i just realized tonight that the headers are in the front of the car, under the engine. some reason i always thought they were in the back. but this might be where a problem is, so im going to mention it to my mechanic!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I would personally avoid all additives at all cost because all they do is mask a problem if they even work at all.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Find the actual mechanical problem and fix it. If it is indeed a lifter tick then it is time to change lifters. If it is a header leak then it is time for gaskets. I realize that replacing lifters would not be a cheap option, but once properly replaced the problem is solved. WHen you use additives if may mask a problem that is far worse than realized and could cause a failure.

If it is a lifter you also need to carefully inspect the camshaft as well for abnormal wear as that could be the problem too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
one last thing, so to see if a problem is coming from the headers, i should try the garden hose trick and hole one piece of it up to my ear, while another around the headers- listening for a difference in the sound of the air while the car is running.

how do i find out if it is a lifter tick from the lifters? is there a simple (or not so simple) technique to see if its coming from there?

thanks,
tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
since my stang is going in for service wednesday night for thursday, im going to leave a note to the mechanic about a potential headerleak and to check the gaskets.

even a friend of mine said my car sounded bad today when we went out somewhere.

·
Registered
154 Posts
here is a thing i did on seafoaming my 94 v6 mustang

YouTube - seafoaming my mustang

if you dont know how to do it or anything..there are alot of good posts on it on this site though....if you have any questions just ask

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i just took my car to my friends house who is a mechanic (not the one who services the car though- dad prefers local mechanic for what ever reason)... and found out that indeed it is an exhaust leak and is coming from the headers. so i need to replace the gaskets.

i also found out from my friend that my brand new brake pads from 3k miles ago, the front left pad of mine was frozen so the pad is completely worn down. great! (not really).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.