Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a simple question.

I am not interested in a major exhaust replacement (dual exhausts), and I don't really want the GT "look", I just want a little more volume and maybe even a modest power increase. I know that Borla once offered a single Y-pipe back exhaust for the 1999-2004 V6 but it seems to be no longer on the books.

My question is, does anyone have a freer flowing single exhaust for my car, not a fart-can but a properly engineered replacement for stock that offers a little extra. (Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Pypes, homemade, whoever...)

BTW my car is a base model 1999 with 3.8L and 5-speed.

I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
162 Posts
in all honesty you'll end up paying about the same amount for a dual and a single performance exhaust. I already looked into it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
A single exhaust upgrade would be to just replace the muffler (and every exhaust company has those!)...

Pypes, Magnaflow, Steeda, and Flowmaster all make single-in, dual-out systems that mount right up to your stock Y-pipe - for $400+ if you shop around.

But for a little more money, you can 1) get a full system 2) buy or have a mid-pipe made and use a V8 cat-back system 3) have a shop custom make a true dual (split all the way back) exhaust with the mufflers of your choosing. :bigthumbsup

3.9Vert - glad to see your back!! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
yea its been a while. I have been busy with my Motorcycle and job. really haven't had time to jump on here. I just got back into modding my car since bike season is over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses folks. Since the stock exhaust is stainless steel (and I am not trying to get a big performance increase) I will probably go with a Y pipe back dual system instead of true duals. Something that is a little louder than stock, preferably with discrete turn down tips so it doesn't look like a GT, would serve me well.

I am looking for a healthy sound on acceleration but without any highway drone. I have been in cars that sound great in town but drive you crazy at steady speed, that is why I stress a "little louder". I'm not sure why but it seems that 90 degree V6s (not just Mustangs) seem more prone to unpleasant drone than V8s are, strangely in-line 6s sound much better (take your average BMW, older Jaguars, Toyota Supras). Does the 3.8 have an offset crank for even firing?

Thanks again for you input.

Ira

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.