Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought my first mustang. Its a 99 with the V6, 5sp. I would like to make more horsepower and I have an M90 eaton super charger. It has 12 pounds of boost. It is the bigger super charger that eaton made. However I was reading on another thread that this is to much boost for a 93 to 98 V6. Will this still work for my 99? Didn't know if there was a difference from 98 to 99. This is a daily driver with some miles on it. (mostly highway) But she still runs and drives like new. Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
you have an m90 on a split port engine??

and btw there are bigger eaton s/c's than the m90.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I have a guy that I have been talking to on the phone today that has one and wants me to buy it today. I was just curious if this would work for my setup. I'm guessing this wont even bolt up to what I have. Is this the wrong supercharger? And is this still to much boost for my 99 V6?

·
Registered
268 Posts
i think what he is getting at is that supercharger will eliminate your split port injection. (trust me i asked the same thing) because that supercharger doesnt hook up to yer split port, it should come with the correct intake manifold and piping/mounts/ect. but if your just getting the charger alone than your getting jipped my friend.

and yes stock 12psi is way too much for your v6, you need a bigger pump and bigger injectors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you have an m90 on a split port engine??

and btw there are bigger eaton s/c's than the m90.
ya its the m112 i think. idk, dont really care cuz its a roots supercharger and that takes off the split port unless you have an intake designed for both the roots and split port..which i have yet to find. i'd love to find one tho.

if there is none like what i just stated above then i think you'd have to go with a compressor charger. it looks like a one sided turbo charger but it runs off your belt an thru your air intake to the manifold.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
No. I have a guy that I have been talking to on the phone today that has one and wants me to buy it today. I was just curious if this would work for my setup. I'm guessing this wont even bolt up to what I have. Is this the wrong supercharger? And is this still to much boost for my 99 V6?
the m90 won't fit your engine unless you install single port heads and lower intake. doing that would drop you 40-50 hp. also, the tbird SC's were made to handle the m90, they had forged internals and an 8.2:1 compression ratio. along with fuel system upgrades. even after all that work, it still wont be worth it, the 89-93 Tbird SC makes 210hp/315ftlbs, and the 94 Tbird SC made 230hp/330ftlbs, (due to a larger s/c inlet, a larger plenum, larger fuel injectors, and an 8.6:1 compression ratio). while it may add a boatload of torque, hp gains are minimal.

ya its the m112 i think. idk, dont really care cuz its a roots supercharger and that takes off the split port unless you have an intake designed for both the roots and split port..which i have yet to find. i'd love to find one tho.

if there is none like what i just stated above then i think you'd have to go with a compressor charger. it looks like a one sided turbo charger but it runs off your belt an thru your air intake to the manifold.
there is also the M122; (GT500 Eaton s/c)
SSM sells an adapter plate that lets you mount the M112 onto a 99-04 3.8L split port engine.

"compressor charger" ?? are you referring to a centrifugal s/c ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the guy ONLY has the supercharger. I guess I need to go another route. I want to add more horsepower without breaking the bank. My wife is a full time student and I have two little boys, with a 3rd on the way, so I dont have a ton of money to spend on it. My cousin came over the other day and laughed at me cause it was missing two cylinders. I think the 6 banger runs real well. It totally surprised me. Now I want to do some quick mods so I can shut him up. Thanks again so much for the info!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes the guy ONLY has the supercharger. I guess I need to go another route. I want to add more horsepower without breaking the bank. My wife is a full time student and I have two little boys, with a 3rd on the way, so I dont have a ton of money to spend on it. My cousin came over the other day and laughed at me cause it was missing two cylinders. I think the 6 banger runs real well. It totally surprised me. Now I want to do some quick mods so I can shut him up. Thanks again so much for the info!
hey man its all good. with my turbocharger i killed a few v8's. but turbo charging deff is alot more work than supercharging. idk it balances each other out cuz with a supercharger your gonna lose hp like he said from the belt but gain it in boost, turbochargers got alot more piping work an kinda weighs your car down a lil and has turbo lag, but in the long run its free hp an with the displacement of our 3.8's a smaller turbo shouldnt have that huge of a problem with lag.

i'm still curious as to the boost though. if an m90 makes 12psi and they make split port intakes for m112's do they makes the intake for the lower chargers. or is there a way to leak out the psi from a super charger like a turbo. sorry idk much about belt driven forced induction.

an ya i ment centrifigul lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My cousin came over the other day and laughed at me cause it was missing two cylinders.
as to that statement when you save up some cash find a salvaged gt and swap out the differential and suspension. maybe even the trans as well cuz they are both the same bolt design cept the gt has a closer ratio.

the gt's have a better suspension set up an will let you stick your take off's better. its kinda like what my dad always told me "it doesnt matter if you have 200hp or 500hp, if you dont have the parts to stick it then your ass isnt going anywhere."

obviously gt's are more race oriented, i know it isnt some $2000 aftermarket suspension but hey, when your low on cash every little thing helps:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read a up a little on eatons web sight. It says it has a relief valve on it for lower idle to release pressure. Is this what the turbo's do? And what does a turbo run for a 3.8. I am going to take the car to the muffler shop and have them do something with the exhaust and have them open it up a bit. I am also going to put a cold air intake on it. Is there any other quick mods that you think I should do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again. I guess I am hittin' the junk yards this week. Will a pre 99 gt have the same suspension or am I gonna have to look for a 99-04?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
as to that statement when you save up some cash find a salvaged gt and swap out the differential and suspension. maybe even the trans as well cuz they are both the same bolt design cept the gt has a closer ratio.

the gt's have a better suspension set up an will let you stick your take off's better. its kinda like what my dad always told me "it doesnt matter if you have 200hp or 500hp, if you dont have the parts to stick it then your ass isnt going anywhere."

obviously gt's are more race oriented, i know it isnt some $2000 aftermarket suspension but hey, when your low on cash every little thing helps:bigthumbsup

a GT transmission will not bolt up to a V6. V6's have T5's and GT's have T45's.
the differentials are also not interchangeable, the V6's have a 7.5" rear end and the GT's have an 8.8" rear end.
and 99-04 V6/GT suspensions are the same except that the GT has a rear swaybar.

also, there's not much point in buying an entire extra car if all you want is a transmission and a rear end.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I read a up a little on eatons web sight. It says it has a relief valve on it for lower idle to release pressure. Is this what the turbo's do? And what does a turbo run for a 3.8. I am going to take the car to the muffler shop and have them do something with the exhaust and have them open it up a bit. I am also going to put a cold air intake on it. Is there any other quick mods that you think I should do?
oh ic so it must be a type of wastegate then. ya turbos do something of that nature except theirs shoots excess exhaust out to meet the wastegates marked psi. uhm well i bought my turbo,intercooler,bov, and pipes for around 400 dollars. some people on here will will usually say 1-3 grand depending on what you want. i really dont care if its a brand name or not. just check on ebay and look at the custom satisfactory rate and that should give you a good idea on if its a good product or not. but a stock 3.8 no injectors or pump upgrades can hold right around 5psi which is about a 70hp increase. if you want 10psi-12psi you'll need a 255walboro pump an i'm taking a guess of 42lb injectors. if confusion comes up in searching (cuz it did for me) 42lb means 420cc, same as 30lb to 300cc. i believe this motors stock injectors are 19lbs.

you'll probably need a higher injector for that boost, i've never boosted past 10psi before on a stang.

for the muffler shop what are you planning to have them do? cuz with labor it would cost some cash and if your staying with the y pipe then i would consider just buying true duals. which are pretty easy an cheap to buy in seperate parts than buying a system off the internet.

lol if you wanna show yer cousin some power go to true duals no res or cats just a flow thru exhaust on each pipe, i have an 00' an my pipes from the manifold were 2.25in so free up your exhaust by putting a 2.75in or 3in. where your cats would start, you'd need an o2 sensor kit also if your goin with duals.

cheap mods would include performance spark plugs, plug wires, throttlebody spacer, TLOKS(lsd), cai, free-er exhausts, and underdrive pulleys, just little things to keep the engine bay cool too helps such as thermo tape around your exhaust manifolds, an a tuner.

i dont think i stated anything above thats over 500 dollars

bigger hp upgrades would include port n polished intake manifold, forged internals or lighter ones, stroker kits, gears, twin turbo's, big superchargers like the m122 and m112, and a few other mods the more experienced on here can tell you about.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2008catrev1EnginesShotblocks.pdf

or you can just save up over time and buy this bad boy=]

·
Registered
268 Posts
the differentials are also not interchangeable, the V6's have a 7.5" rear end and the GT's have an 8.8" rear end.

also, there's not much point in buying an entire extra car if all you want is a transmission and a rear end.
you would get the gts struts, swaybars, shocks, springs, and anything else.
they have the different rear end but i just read on that differential section its better to go with the 8.8 cuz it can hold more hp.

well then someone should fire jim at our repair shop cuz he said it could be done... good thing i didnt go there.

and i think the gts used a more aggressive independant suspension set up. idk. i've just been told gt's can take turns way better than v6's.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
For an Eaton or other positive displacement blower, you don't use a blow off valve or relief. The blower pulley is changed to raise or lower the boost.

My stock kit had the 6# pulley which I replaced with a 9# pulley. The bypass valve on an Eaton or twin screw blower is to recirculate the air in the blower when the throttle is closed to prevent surging.

This works especially well when running WOT at peak boost and then quickly letting off the throttle to prevent engine and blower damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if i went with a turbo, dual exhaust, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, hotter plugs and wires, do you think I can push 300hp?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
oh ic so it must be a type of wastegate then. ya turbos do something of that nature except theirs shoots excess exhaust out to meet the wastegates marked psi. uhm well i bought my turbo,intercooler,bov, and pipes for around 400 dollars. some people on here will will usually say 1-3 grand depending on what you want. i really dont care if its a brand name or not. just check on ebay and look at the custom satisfactory rate and that should give you a good idea on if its a good product or not. but a stock 3.8 no injectors or pump upgrades can hold right around 5psi which is about a 70hp increase. if you want 10psi-12psi you'll need a 255walboro pump an i'm taking a guess of 42lb injectors. if confusion comes up in searching (cuz it did for me) 42lb means 420cc, same as 30lb to 300cc. i believe this motors stock injectors are 19lbs.

you'll probably need a higher injector for that boost, i've never boosted past 10psi before on a stang.

for the muffler shop what are you planning to have them do? cuz with labor it would cost some cash and if your staying with the y pipe then i would consider just buying true duals. which are pretty easy an cheap to buy in seperate parts than buying a system off the internet.

lol if you wanna show yer cousin some power go to true duals no res or cats just a flow thru exhaust on each pipe, i have an 00' an my pipes from the manifold were 2.25in so free up your exhaust by putting a 2.75in or 3in. where your cats would start, you'd need an o2 sensor kit also if your goin with duals.

cheap mods would include performance spark plugs, plug wires, throttlebody spacer, TLOKS(lsd), cai, free-er exhausts, and underdrive pulleys, just little things to keep the engine bay cool too helps such as thermo tape around your exhaust manifolds, an a tuner.

i dont think i stated anything above thats over 500 dollars

bigger hp upgrades would include port n polished intake manifold, forged internals or lighter ones, stroker kits, gears, twin turbo's, big superchargers like the m122 and m112, and a few other mods the more experienced on here can tell you about.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2008catrev1EnginesShotblocks.pdf

or you can just save up over time and buy this bad boy=]
jackassincorpse,

please stop giving him advice. surely with your help he will blow up his car in no time.

OP, do not, i repeat do not purchase a turbo kit from eBay. reliable horsepower is not cheap, and trust me you get what you pay for.

a good turbo kit will run you upwards of $4k.

you can run no more than 4.4psi on a stock fuel system.

2.5" is the largest piping diameter to use for your exhaust system on a stock engine. anything more than that and you will lose backpressure and your mustang will run like a 3-legged horse.

keep your cats. if you run straight pipes on a stock engine it will sound like garbage, and you will also lose backpressure.

dont waste your money on "performance" spark plugs or throttle body spacers. the only thing these mods can do well is make your money dissapear.

also, no kit exists that allows you to mount an M122 to a split port V6. or any V6 for that matter.
even the M112 kit is sketchy at best.

i suggest a procharger kit. for a relatively low cost, (~$4K), you will reliably add around 100rwhp.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Alright lets see what I can do here.

The m90 is absolutely NOT the biggest supercharger Eaton makes.

GT shocks / struts are not an upgrade, mach 1 suspension would be.

Its not split port INJECTION its split port induction.

If he has a 99, he wants a 310 focus pump not a 255 walbro.

GT's do not have independent rear suspension, thats a cobra thing.

2.75 / 3" true duals are WAY too big... Stick to 2.5"

If you can do the work, and I mean all the work. The s/c setup would give you about 30-40rwhp and 70ish rwtq but its not that simple.

Welcome to AFM

And the most important tip I can give you: Do not listen to jakksincorpse, he has no idea what he is ever talking about. Listening to him could result to your vehicle self destructing.:laugh:

·
Registered
268 Posts

you would get the gts struts, swaybars, shocks, springs, and anything else.
they have the different rear end but i just read on that differential section its better to go with the 8.8 cuz it can hold more hp.

well then someone should fire jim at our repair shop cuz he said it could be done... good thing i didnt go there.

and i think the gts used a more aggressive independant suspension set up. idk. i've just been told gt's can take turns way better than v6's.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.