Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noobie to this forum. My son has a 1999 Mustang. He went in for his annual inspection and his wipers did not work. I've done quite a bit of reading before posting. Nothing related to windshield wipers works. washer/wiper/delay. Nothing. Not a click or hum.
I've tested the following:
Relay - both work - bench tested
Fuse 26 - tested fine replaced anyway
Fuse 26 - 12V with ignition on, 0V with ignition off.
Checked every other fuse in the box under the kick panel. everything ok
Everything else in the car works!

I don't know how to check the GEM (or even where it is).
If it the the switch on the post, I think that at least some of the functions would work.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I have to get his car inspected before he goes back to college this Sunday. Yikes!

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1999 Wipers figured out....

Many thanks to the person who posted the wiring diagram for the wipers/washers. Pages 81-1 and 81-2. I found if you have a "premium" stock sound system (Mach 460 or Mach 1000), Ford routes the wiring for the wipers through the premium sound circuit before it hits the GEM (C1046 or C1220). Several months ago, we isolated the radio circuit as it was DRAINING the battery. Well, we also isolated the ground and opened the circuit (long story but it involves an aftermarket relay). This is Texas and it hasn't rained since. We don't get much rain in the summer.

Everything now is routed back to stock. Grounds restored. Battery lasts only about 3 or 4 days before it is fully drained (sigh). I'll have to attack the radio drain from a different angle...........like an aftermarket stereo.

Moral to the story. If you have premium stock Ford stereo, check your wipers immediately after you touch the wiring.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
2nd moral to the story. Grounding is a critical often overlooked problem area. Devices shouldn't be controled/disabled/altered by interrupting their ground. Many devices share the same ground point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts