Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY buddy has a 1999 gt procharged 301. We started having problems right when we got it because it tore about 4 belts and after becoming pretty profiecient at replacing them we found the problem. The pulley on the tensioner seemed a bit too far towards the front of the car and the belt was riding too clost to the timing cover. We purchased a new aftermarket tensioner and the spring was a bit tighter than the old one and the belt was tighter too which was good. BUT, the belt still rides on the sharp edge of the new one and were not sure how to fix this. When the engine is running and we pry a screwdriver in the tensioner and push the tensioner pulley towards the timing cover the belt rides perfect. Its only about 1/8th of an inch that it needs to be pushed back. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Sounds like something isn't mounted correctly. Make sure all the other pulleys are on the same plane and check the mounting of the tensioner. Since it started with the install of the procharger, I would check over the mounting of that extra carefully.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This may sound silly but also check the routing of the belt...i did some work on my vortech engine and we had a problem with the belt jumping and it turns out we had it routed wrong, believe it or not you can route the belt multiple ways around the pulleys and it fits, it just doesnt work haha

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
This may sound silly but also check the routing of the belt...i did some work on my vortech engine and we had a problem with the belt jumping and it turns out we had it routed wrong, believe it or not you can route the belt multiple ways around the pulleys and it fits, it just doesnt work haha
His belt isn't jumping out though, it's shredding it. I agree with first post, double check everything's aligned and mounted properly. Even something as simple as not having the AC silencer bracket properly sandwiched between the block and the S/C mounting plate could throw the clearance off enough to toast the belt. Also, when I installed my Vortech, the kit was supplied with a different idler pulley than it was intended to have. Somebody just packed the wrong part when they shipped it from Vortech. I got everything together, went to install the belt, and it occurred to me that running the system that way would toast the belt awfully quick.
I called Vortech to confirm this, and they apologized and sent me a new pulley. No prob.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a washer missing on one of the mounting brackets. It doesn't take much for that alignment to be off and shred/throw belts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.