Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Automatic V6 Mustang and I cannot get any mechanics to accurately fix my throttle position sensor. The check engine light has been on for a good 8 months now and I have gotten the throttle position sensor changed 3 different times! One mechanic even did this little pig tail thing because he said that the fuse to the sensor was bad. Since the "pig tailed" sensor my car has been stopping on me randomly when I drive. When I press on the gas I don't feel any power going to the engine, then it just slows to a complete stop. Once I turn it off and turn it back on it works fine again until it decides to randomly stop(it usually happens at lower speeds like below 40mph). My car also idles very fast! Once I put my car in reverse or drive it just peels right out (so I always have to mash on the brakes when starting the car and driving off)! One last thing.. The other day I reversed down my driveway(it was downhill) and once I got to the end it started going forward back up the hill as if I switched to drive! Whats up with that?
Thank you for taking the time out to read this post. Any information will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
troubleshoot IAC TPS idle problems 1996-2004

Please post the full DTC codes. There are 1000's of them and they EACH have a story to tell. Almost all autoparts stores will read for free. Please don't ask us to guess.

For 96+ MY's, the TPS is not used the same way as older cars. IMO, the chances of getting 3 bad TPS's is very low. Look somewhere else.

Please check fuse F2.2 and F2.8 in the central junction box (CJB). Not a bad idea to check all fuses. Don't just do a quick look.

Also, have your alternator tested for correct output and excessive AC ripple. Most autoparts stores will do it for FREE.

What is the condition of the battery and battery cables? Clean, tight, and Corrosion free? Don't cut corners here as sudden quiting with easy re-start is a prime symptom of a bad battery.

Finally, read the following for more information on how the TPS affects idle on 96+ MY's.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-dieing-idle-idling-rough-14.html#post2260649

1 - 2 of 2 Posts