Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so when i drive in the city everything's fine but when im on the highway and i take it passed 65 mph for like 45 seconds or more, the engine starts to smoke, you really don't notice it until you've come to a stop and you see the smoke coming from the wheel arches. But last night i stopped at a gas station and there was LOTS of smoke coming out and this guy took a quick look at it and said it, its definitely burnt oil smell, and could be transmission oil, coming out the dipstick and landing on the exhaust manifold. This car is completely stock, for now, im just wondering if this has happened to anyone before.? and how may i fix this? im kinda new at the car thing, but i know enough to fix a minor or mid range problem, theres no warning lights or anything and the emergency brake is down so PLEASE HELP ME. This is my first post on any forum so please bear with me. Thank you.!

·
Registered
613 Posts
your valve covers are shot. Replace or you can try the high mileage motor oil with seal conditioners. sounds like they just started and wont leak until theres alot of pressure on them. They cost about $20 and not to bad to change if your mechanically inclined. if you do try make sure to follow torque specs.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
what? its not your valve covers... there is no pressure applied to the valve covers... if they were leaking you'd get oil dripping on the headers no matter when and how you're driving.. it would help to pinpoint exactly where the oil is coming from.. do you mean the transmission dipstick tube on the passengerside firewall? or the oil dipstick on the driverside by the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought it didnt seem correct but hey what do i know and the passenger side transmission dipstick and i took a look at it today and i think its landing on the catalytic converters. what would be causing this.? thanks man.!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
check the level... i think it might be way overfilled

·
Registered
613 Posts
my bad the valve covers dont have pressure on them but are well known to leak. As far as your trans stick, could just be loose as well. Is the fluid brownish or still red?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i did some checking today, i lifted it on the jack and well i revved it like i would normally do on the highway and i was looking around until i saw a bit of smoke and when i looked i saw that there was a small leakage coming from the valve cover and falling on the catalytic converter(passenger side) and causing it to smoke. i felt like Sherlock Holmes when i found where it was coming from,:smartass: lol. Well thanks again to Subpath and Markstang690 for helping me to diagnose the problem, and i'll try to keep in touch of how the replacement will goes, i'll try to do the fix myself. Thanks again. :bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts