Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be just because of the cold temp..last night..got down to about 20 and I get up this morning go out to start the pony up....got in the car and released the hand brake....dropped in revers and ..the car felt like there was no power...felt the handbrake and...got no resistance when i pulled it up ..mine is an 05 auto gt called the shop and had it towed in and the rep just called me and said come and get my car...I then asked him if the mechanic found the problem and he said that the mechanic couldt find any problem ...I will find out here in a little bit when my wife gets home to take me up there...has this happend to any body before?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I actually have an appointment next week to get it into the shop. I have a 5-speed that has been parked daily using the e-brake since April, and I am just now having problems. If anyone else has seen this, let us know. I really don't want to leave my car at the dealer. After all, with the way Ford parts have been lately, I don't want to get my baby fixed more than once (I'm on my 3rd radio).

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
clubracergt1 said:
Mine is doing the same thing. I actually have an appointment next week to get it into the shop. I have a 5-speed that has been parked daily using the e-brake since April, and I am just now having problems. If anyone else has seen this, let us know. I really don't want to leave my car at the dealer. After all, with the way Ford parts have been lately, I don't want to get my baby fixed more than once (I'm on my 3rd radio).
Why are you using your e-brake when you are parked? just put it in gear, I have been putting it in reverse for 20+ years now, and it's recommended.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the same problem this morning (it was about 20 here as well). The e-brake hung and the right brake got smokin hot. After it sat for a while it was fine. Sounds like an issue with the cold weather since I've been using the parking brake since day one, but this is the first cold weather for me. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
just curious if the cars were washed right before parking? wondering if cables simply iced up...

·
Registered
403 Posts
double post...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I only use my e-brake when on a steep slope. I usually put it in reverse or 2nd.

pcfrisch said:
Why are you using your e-brake when you are parked? just put it in gear, I have been putting it in reverse for 20+ years now, and it's recommended.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got it back from shop...works fine...maybe it was from the cold...I wont use the brake as much...the tech said it was working when he looked at it..mine is an auto...do you think I should use much or just on steep inclines...?

·
Registered
324 Posts
You have an auto, almost no need for the e-brake. My last two auto's cars I can't remember ever using it. My last auto truck (Ford F-350) I would use it when setting the truck under the camper so it wouldn't rock when I put it in park. Other then that never.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is the cold combined with moisture. If you keep your emergency brake set over night and you have frost or ice on your windows in the morning, then there is a good chance your brake pads are frozen to your rotors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fleg said:
I was wondering the same thing. I only use my e-brake when on a steep slope. I usually put it in reverse or 2nd.
you are supposed to put it in 1st, 1st will actually kind of lock the trans, so the car will not roll at all. this is true in almost all manual cars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If the brake pads freeze to the rotors, just drive few blocks slowly and they will start melting by themselves... :winks If not, stop for few minutes (like you do in traffic lights usually) and the heat should radiate/transfer around a little.

For the cable.. Maybe putting some lower viscosity lubricant might help? I have an automatic '01 in Finland and I have no recollecion on having issues with e-brake. About '05 I think still the biggest issue could be with the heater. it seems to be pretty weak? Or does it have some automatic adjustment? I'm still in CA, so no problems with freezing temperatures.. Yet... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problem with my '05 twice now. I suspect water is getting on to the exposed brake cable before the parking brake is pulled. After a night below freezing, that cable isn't going to move. Last time it happened I put the car in the garage for a few hours and it cleared up. I think I'll put some oil on my cable - thanks.
If it was the brake pad frozen to the rotor, it would just POP when you first rolled and then it would be fine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is true in almost all manual cars using almost all gears. 1st gear is the worst becuase if you park on a hill it will put the most torque on the engine and because engines have some leak past the rings and valves the engine will start to spin. 4th and 5th (in a 5 speed) is usually the safest because usually 4th is nearly a 1:1 ratio and 5th is usually in the .7 range putting the least amount of torque on the engine. I put it in 2nd because it is out of the way.

official_style said:
you are supposed to put it in 1st, 1st will actually kind of lock the trans, so the car will not roll at all. this is true in almost all manual cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.