Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I took my car to the track for the first time tonight. It was 90+ was I got there so I knew my times would suck today. This was my first time drag racing a manual car and could not launch it worth anything.
1st time - stalled it :sadcry:
2nd time - bogged badly
3rd time - massive wheel hop - Best of the night 14.278 @ 101.1 w/ 2.318 60'
4th time - bogged badly
I am pretty clueless on how to launch these cars so I would really appreciate some input from v6 manual owners on this.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
On the stock tires?

Going to take some rpm and abusing the clutch a little.

Try about 3500-4000 rpm and slip the clutch a little getting it out of the hole.

It's a balancing act between too much clutch slip and too much tire spin.

If it continues to wheel hop then you are looking at some new lower control arms.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you have drag radials launch it at 3000, if not then its gonna take some playing with but around 2g's would do it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have the stock all season pirelli tires on the car. When sitting at the tree could I use the parking brake to hold the car and just work about my throttle/clutch movements?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I still have the stock all season pirelli tires on the car. When sitting at the tree could I use the parking brake to hold the car and just work about my throttle/clutch movements?
I wouldn't try the parking brake deal, just need to get it set at the line and let the brake off.

The only other way is like the racers do it and install a line lock.

J

·
0 Posts
On the stock tires?

Going to take some rpm and abusing the clutch a little.

Try about 3500-4000 rpm and slip the clutch a little getting it out of the hole.

It's a balancing act between too much clutch slip and too much tire spin.

If it continues to wheel hop then you are looking at some new lower control arms.

What he said.

I actually find it easier to launch cars with more HP than torque because you don't have to worry about spinning as much.

Just hold the revs at 3500 or so and slip the clutch while keeping the revs up. Once it hooks you just have to floor it and hold on.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
I dabbled in that hand brake trick when I began running my '85. A linelock killed that. Even today with the Mach 1, I use the linelock only for burnouts and just slowly roll into the beams, being careful not to double-bulb, the height of embarrassment for me.

Street tire launches are rough. Most all of us tend to use not enough clutch slippage and not enough RPMs. None of us want to smell clutch, but even a little of that isn't the end of the world. Some after-hours parking lot launches at work (or in deserted industrial parks) can help! Try to minimize tire noise and maximize acceleration your inner ear feels. From what I see so far with the 2012, a set of J-M LCA is high on the list (about a C-note, no need to go all Steeda. See UPR tip above, they are excellent USA folks). But slip the clutch the right magic way and wheel hop will be nearly absent.

Except for burnouts on tires suited for them, the main use of brake during staging is to apply some drag so you can bump into the beams with quick mini-releases of the clutch rather than creeping up carefully. I was getting ready to do the next trick, adding a brake line pressure gauge, when I sold the race-only '85. Then you can partially apply the fronts a known amount, just to induce a repeatable way and depth of staging.

Hey ! Hoohah ! Look ! http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-manual-shifter-6-speed-11.html

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I've achieved some incredible launches at 3000 PRM and slightly below, with the stock BFG T/A's, and I can do so 90% without any wheel hop at all. I swear it almost feels like it will pull the front tires though I know there's not enough torque to do that. It has taken a lot of practice on deserted roads, mostly on clutch disengagement. I wish I had a precise formula to give you, but the best I can say is don't let out too much too soon. "Feel" what your "baby" is telling your feet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've achieved some incredible launches at 3000 PRM and slightly below, with the stock BFG T/A's, and I can do so 90% without any wheel hop at all. I swear it almost feels like it will pull the front tires though I know there's not enough torque to do that. It has taken a lot of practice on deserted roads, mostly on clutch disengagement. I wish I had a precise formula to give you, but the best I can say is don't let out too much too soon. "Feel" what your "baby" is telling your feet.
Yeah, I was definitely worried about wear and tear on my clutch. I need to man up a bit. Heck, SPEC just released their clutch and flywheel right? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I haven't taken my car to a track yet, and truly don't plan on it any time soon however, I have raced a few friends and a few ballsy people on the road. I find that if I bring it to about 3,200 RPM's I can launch very nicely. I basically slide the clutch out just enough to catch and the second I feel the car move forward I drop the rest of the way and punch it. I haven't launched a single time without spinning the tires but I also don't peel out forever either.

Here's a list of a few friends that I have raced on the street behind my house, and a few random people I've run against on the street, and the results.

2010 Camaro - I won by 1.5 car lengths
2011 Challenger - I spanked it harder than I spanked my friends civic
2011 Civic SI - I won, probably by 4-5 car lengths
2002 WRX - I won, 3-4 car lengths
2009 Charger SRT - Nearly neck and neck, took me by MAYBE half a car length.
2001 Integra Type S - I won, 2-3 car lengths

2001 Integra - I lost, he's running a GSR engine swap with a turbo, 75 shot, and about 5 grand in additional after market mods, fast as hell.
2005 350z - I lost, but by less than a car length, and I think he was just a better driver than me.
2001 Camaro SS SLP - I lost, pretty badly I'll be honest... made me look kind of silly.
2010 Mustang GT - I lost, took me by about 2 car lengths, rather lousy launch on my behalf.
2010 Mustang GT - I lost, but at the very last moment, I honestly thought I was going to win this one when I caught him in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Launching to me is taking off from damn near dumping the clutch, what a lot of people are saying on here is rolling the car off the line to start it off, that to me is not a launch at all. If you were to really and truly launch these cars on stock tires from 3200 you would do nothing but spin.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
that to me is not a launch at all

No. The O-P was looking for advice on how to get by ON stock tires and the responders gave answers accordingly. If we had meant to tell him to go buy a 2nd set of M-T ET Streets on 17s, we would have said so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts